Chapter 12

Chapter 12: The Castle

As late afternoon became nightfall, Maxine and Gabrielle decided to swap seats, so Gabrielle and I decide to watch a movie together. 3 hours later the credits come up. Jess and I both take off our headphones "Does it seem....louder?" Gabrielle asked.

"Yeah!" I agree, it does sound louder.

I opened my window that I closed at the beginning of the movie. Gabrielle and I stared out in horror. It was a storm; bigger than any storm I have ever seen. Huge winds that were black with dirt and dust, mist like rain with toonie-sized rain to accompany it. Hail, rain and mist slammed against our plane, we could see an ocean far, far, far below us, I knew that it was probably The Pacific but we were  too high up to see any actual water. I felt a spray of sea water brush across my cheek. Suddenly I heard an alarm... I looked up... the seat belt light flashed red, normally it would be orange. Then, I heard the captain say something no one ever wanted to hear: "May day, May day!

I felt like my life was ending. Sethius and Maxine were still gossiping.

“Maxine, Sethius!” They looked at me blankly.

“WHAT? I CAN’T HEAR YOU!” Sethius yelled over the increasing noise of the plane.

I looked over at the corner. There was a pile of safety gear: life jackets, parachutes, first aid kits and oxygen masks. Screaming patrons roamed the plane, waiting to die. Suddenly the pilot spoke over the telecom.

“Attention all passengers! The plane is going to crash but don’t panic because if you stay calm and remain seated then you won’t die. So-“

When I realised that I didn’t hear the rest of the speech, I knew it was over.

I woke up next to the plane which was on fire. I managed to pull an unconscious Maxine and a half-dead Sethius out but I couldn’t find Gabrielle. I flung them both over my back. It was amazing how physically strong I was. It felt like I was carrying my three year old cousin. The rain beat down against my skin, soaking my clothes and hair, as I ran hopelessly across the wet grass to the giant willow tree. Its branches seemed to reach out in all directions, and its leaves hanging low to the ground, creating a small, loving shelter. I collapsed near its trunk and burst into salty tears, uncontrollable sobs escaping my lips. I couldn’t look at my friends. Just the thought of all my friends being dead made me shiver.

And then I saw it, a place to stay for the night. It was as tall as the sky. I hiked towards the castle through the lifeless groves and gardens, shielding my eyes from the jagged twigs and thorns. A faded blue flower puffed its last breath and lazily spewed the last of its pollen into the dank world outside the shelter of itself. Stumbling over vines; climbing up the rocks; hiking through forest.

I pulled a barbed branch away, revealing the sepia coloured wood of the castle doors. The intricate carvings were bold against the otherwise plain doors. I ran for the doors, tripping over a gnarled root of a tree and tarnishing my dress. I let out a soft sigh of discouragement. My dress was now ruined. Just as I had started to wipe the dirt from my dress, the doors squealed open on rusty hinges.

“Riley, Riley! Come in, child! Don’t you know it’s not safe out there? Bring your…um…friends.” He teased, motioning me to come inside.

I smiled at him sweetly as I walked hurriedly to him, hauling my almost dead friend’s bodies with me. “I’m sorry, do I know you?” I asked confused.

“I’ll explain over a nice cup of hot chocolate,” He said kindly, letting the door sway back into place as I removed my jacket. Sliding the hood of the hook, I stared down the corridor. Marble floors, sculptures of grandeur, chandeliers—so gorgeous! Somehow I knew him. Somehow I felt like I was connected to him.

“It’s beautiful,” I muttered in awe, as I took it all in.

And just how did I know I could trust him? I guess I had no choice.

“Please, sit, I have been expecting you for a while.”

“So who are you?”

“Well that is for you to figure out.”

“But I don’t know!” I complained.

“Sleep on it and I am sure it will come back to you.”

I actually almost got changed into pyjamas! Two things were wrong with this picture: I was a vampire and it was one o’clock in the afternoon.

I stormed down the stairs. “Aren’t you forgetting something?” I asked, frustrated, pointing to my eyes.