Chapter 13

• Dedicated to Stephanie Meyer

Chapter 13: A Light In The Forest

He wasn’t there. “Um…hello?” I wandered like a lost sheep into what I hoped was the lounge room. There was a healing table in the centre of the room. He winked at me when he saw my face as Sethius came over to me. “SETHIUS!” I hugged him tightly. The more I hugged him, the better I felt. I sensed an extra person hugging us.

“Maxine?”

“I thought I was dead.” Her voice was muffled but I could just make out what she was saying.

”You were.” The stranger said, pleased with himself.

I observed the room closely. A symbol on the wall caught my eye. That was the language of the Jecolu Tribe. “Excuse me sir, can you speak Jecoluesan?” He sighed. He muttered something and then said, “Where’s the book?”

“The aeroplane, it kinda…it wasn’t my fault…all of a sudden it…” My eyes filled with tears. The man looked at me like I was an alien or something. “Didn’t you read the back cover?”  I shook my head sadly. “It said that the book can never die and neither will the person who has it in their possession. 

Without hesitation, I ran out the door, through the jagged twigs and thorns, past the willow tree and finally, standing in front of me, the remains of the aeroplane. I searched and looked and rummaged and explored until finally, I gave up. Suddenly, I spotted it, not the book but Gabrielle, dead, frozen, burnt. I never wanted to see her face again. Looking at her made me thirsty. I knew I shouldn’t. I couldn’t, could I? Would I really do that? I made up my mind. I ripped her apart and started drinking her blood.

A voice. I recognised it. It was strange, glittering and it sent tingles running up and down my spine. I felt its echoes rocking the sides of my brain and sounding through my cold insides. I knew it wasn't a real voice. I knew it was only my conscience, trying to tell me something like it always did along the last couple of weeks. I didn't quite hear it, but I could tell it asked me to stop.

But what to stop? I couldn't dare to think about it. I tried to ignore the voice. Hopelessly, I attempted drawing my thoughts away from that question, but it was too late. I could already sense the voice fading away, which only meant I knew what it tried to tell me from the start. It wanted me to stop her drinking blood.

Stop drinking her blood? I secretly asked myself. I smiled at the idiocy of the thought.

A bright light and a familiar screech of the wheels told me that once again, Sethius was here to save me. He opened the door without even getting out. As soon as I hopped in the car, I realised what mood he was in. His lips curved up at the sides and his brows smoothed, “Shut the door.” He ordered. As I did so, he sped off. He took of his black sunnies and looked at me. I glanced at him and screamed. The person who killed Vladimir had kidnapped me. I undid my seatbelt and opened the door. The lock was stuck. My heart was a bouncy ball against my chest.