-20-

She had her doubts. One, he couldn't just be avoiding her like that for nothing. Sure they weren't very close like Dustin is with Lucas or Will is with Elle, but she always considered her and Mike a sort of "underdog team".

She's been reading too many comic books, that's what.

"Max!" Elle looped her arms around Max's waist and gave the shorter girl a bear hug. Max embraced Elle awkwardly, having never really enjoyed physical contact. Her mother was never a lover of hugging, so when she did hug Max once in a while, it felt so stiff and distant that if it weren't for the bright orange hair and blue eyes they both shared, she would have thought they were perfect strangers.

"Hey Elle! How are you?"

"Fantastic! Joyce said she'd take me shopping later for some new sweaters. I'm thinking of dragging Will with me since he's got a good eye for stuff like clothes, but I thought you and me could go together after school!"

"You and me?" Max asked. The shock in her voice must have been obvious because Elle's face immediately darkened. "It's fine if you don't want to! I get that you're not free, what with your AVA club sessions." The brunette smiled softly. "I understand. Sometimes Mike is busy too with AVA and stuff."

Max wanted to hit herself on the head. God, how could she be so insensitive to Elle? The girl obviously just wanted to hang out with her and get to know her better. The redhead bit her lip in contemplation.

Make Elle happy you dumbass! She's probably the only genuine Friend you'll ever meet till you're like, seventy.

"No don't worry about the AVA club sessions! I'll just skip it today and hang out with you around town." Elle's face brightened at her words. "Really? You would skip AVA to hang out with me? We could hang out anytime, I don't want to make you feel pressured into skipping." Elle said, nervously twisting her fingers together.

"You're not forcing me! We'll just have a...girls day! Girls afternoon!"

"Oh that's so cool! I don't have a lot of girlfriends to hang out with, except Erica."

Mental note, ask Elle later who this "Erica" is.

"Well anyways, I'm going to be late for English if I don't leave now. Let's meet outside school straight after your last class, then we can walk around downtown!" Max nodded her head, slamming her own bright red locker closed. After another exchange of details, the two girls eventually parted ways, both with smiles on their beautiful faces.

________

"Elle, I'm not sure if this is my kind of style."

"No, no, no, you look lovely!" Elle insisted, dressed in a Long button up white dress with peach and blue thin lines crossing horizontally all over. Max herself was wearing something similar, but instead of a dress shirt, she wore a Long flared red dress with a bow around her waist. The design was so flamboyant and bright, it did nothing to compliment Nor make Max feel pretty at all. She felt like a present box that was wrapped too tight.

"Elle, you look lovely, but I don't. Honestly, this dress is so tight I can hardly even breathe in it. I probably won't even be able to eat in this bandage dress." Max hissed as nicely as she could. Elle laughed at the uncomfortable face Max was making before dragging her back into the changing rooms.

"Then we'll go try on some more!"

"I thought we were shopping for your sweaters, Elle!"