Chapter 7: Manqué

''Stop bullsh*tting me,'' I said as I forced myself to stop crying. ''Did you even think of that when you left?''

        Yes, Minho was my ex-boyfriend. We met when I went here to pursue my highschool studies. My father told me that I should at least learn to live on my own, like have a taste of independence. It was the first time I went so far from my family in America, though my nanny and driver lived with me in an apartment. I was so excited and happy for the first few months of my stay, but as time went by, I realized it was difficult to blend in. I didn't know much of Korean culture, I was outdated with what's happening or trending in the country, and I have no idea of the celebrities and entertainment industry, so I could say that I was always out of place when my classmates and new found friends were talking. I mean, I can speak and talk in Korean, I know some of the dishes, I know the president and the war between the North and South, I know the mainstream celebrities like Lee Minho and artists like 2ne1 and Big bang, but other than those, I didn't know anything more. But then my friend, Chanmi, whom I casually chat sometimes now, introduced me to indie and underground music industry. And that was when I found him. At first, I was like 'who is this chubby-long haired guy'? His bangs almost covered his one eye and his fitted sweaty shirt would stick to his biceps. Chanmi said that he's one of the best rappers in underground music. What? She took me to a hub where all I'd hear are raps? I was like scared at first because the other performances were full of curse words and disses and more curse words. They looked so angry, but at the same time, I admired how simple poetries were delivered like what they did. Then, Minho went up the stage together with his friend, Zico oppa, or whom I call now Mochi oppa. I was like 'LOL. Can he really rap?'. But then when he started, I couldn't bear to look away, I was just staring at him. There was something in him, I guess. Then, he looked and crouched at the edge of the stage where I was standing below. He looked at me while performing, and I felt his passion with what he does. I was overwhelmed that even before their performance ended, I walked away from the stage and got out of the venue. My heart was racing and I could feel myself burning. How did he do that to me?

        There were many people watching, enjoying, and there I was, standing outside, shivering and confused with what I was feeling. I didn't want to drag Chanmi out, but I didn't want to leave her too. So I waited there, unable to go back. I was afraid to go back. I was shy to go back. Then, Minho came out of nowhere.

        ''Annyeonghasseo,'' he said as he bowed. I was so shocked that I didn't know what to do. I just looked down and attempted to get away from him. ''Ah! Wait!'' Then, I nearly bumped into Zico oppa. I had no choice but to talk to them.

        ''Annyeonghasseo.''

      ''Ahh...mianhe,'' Minho said. ''You went away when away we we're performing. Did we offend you? I'm sorry, my lyrics is a bit harsh.'' I just shook my head while looking down. I think he really felt guilty because after he stared at me, I quickly went away, making way through the crowd. ''Anyway, can we talk about it? Or should I buy you a drink instead? I'm really sorry.''

        ''I don't drink,'' I said and looked at him.

        ''I know,'' he said and smiled. That was when our friendship began. We talked about a lot of things. Minho and Zico oppa were easy to talk to, like they were my long time friends. They were so dorky and we agreed on almost everything. There was not a single performance of theirs that I didn't attend to because we always hang out after. Everytime we meet, we learned things about each other more.

        ''Actually we're training to be in a group,'' he said one time. I was thrilled, imagining them performing for a larger audience. I got to know the other members too. Chanmi was so happy, especially when he saw P.O. who is Minho's good friend. For months, the time we spent together became more often. We sometimes eat lunch together, or spend the weekends strolling around the town. I was contented and I felt that I finally belong here. They were the ones who took care of me and helped me blend in.