Chapter 13: Denying Death

I woke up in the hospital. I wiped my eyes, noticing that through my hand, a dextrose hanging from a post was flowing again. I was wearing a hospital gown and I felt old. My mind was still not clear, but I saw my Mom sitting on the couch near the bed, sleeping with her phone on her hand. I slowly stood up, helping myself to walk towards the bathroom.

        ''Jessy.'' My Mom jolted awake. ''Sweetie.'' She fixed her short hair quickly.

        ''I'm fine, Mom. You can go back to sleep.'' I smiled at her, but she helped me still.

        ''So, what are you feeling?'', my Mom, Jung Minah, asked. I didn't answer just yet, thinking of what to say. After going to the bathroom, I joined her to eat breakfast.

        ''I'm fine, Mom. Really. My chest feels a bit heavy, but it's fine. I can manage,'' I said while smiling and took a bite of an apple which matches her red dress. ''No need to worry. You shouldn't have bothered flying here.''

        ''We're all here. How could you say that? We're all worried. You're going back with us. This is enough. Your life was threatened and now you're here in the hospital again,'' she said angrily, putting back her spoon in the bowl of porridge.

        ''Whoa, Mom. I'm sorry. It's just that I feel like I've been a real bother these past few months.''

        ''So just stay by my side, honey. Enough of this. Enough of whatever you're doing here.''

        ''Mom, we've talked about this before,'' I said, putting my cold hand on top of her hand. It felt warm. Oh my, I missed her so much.

        ''I know.''

        ''I'm fine. Whatever happened, it's just a false alarm of something worse. See? I'm cool. Haha,'' I said, even doing aegyo.

        ''Fine. Maybe I'll just stay here with you then.'' She finally smiled.

        ''Hmm. Well, we have to talk about that first. I don't want you living your responsibilities behind.''

        ''You're the most important responsibility I have. Let's hear what your doctor will say first before discussing this, alright?'' I just nodded.

        ''Thank you, Mom. Uh...have you seen my phone?''

        ''Oh, it's missing. I checked your bag for it a while ago because someone may be contacting you. Mr. Choi said it must have fallen from your bag when you fainted. They panicked so they didn't notice. We'll go buy a new one.''

        ''Okay.'' Damn. I have to talk to Minho as soon as possible.

------------------------------------------------

        ''Hyung, rest well, okay?'', Seungyoon said while fixing his coat.

        ''De, I'll be going to the hospital later. I'll join you guys as soon as I can,'' Seunghoon hyung, who was still lying on his bed, told us.

        ''Don't force yourself. Just rest,'' Jinwoo hyung said and tapped his leg.

        ''Well then, we'll go, hyung. Annyeong,'' Taehyun said and the others followed.

        ''Minho,'' Seunghoon hyung stopped me from walking out. I wanted to act like I didn't hear him at all, but my body won't let me.

        ''De, hyung,'' I said blankly, facing him with a poker face. How should I react? Last night was tough...real tough.