The Chance

Grantaire did not know how many days passed by; it was all one long, endless night to him. He yearned to relive the old days, before the barricade, when all his friends had been alive. When people had been in good spirits, and teasing Enjolras had been just that.

He was haunted by their faces; by the memories of the laughter and drinks and enjoyable nights. And knowing the Enjolras was alive and healthy only made things worse, for he knew that Enjolras still hated him. To think I thought he had accepted me, he thought countless times. He buried himself in his wine, and busied himself with all that he usually did, the dancing and wrestling and such.

He had finally accepted the fact that the smile Enjolras had given him had meant nothing. Absolutely nothing at all, as did that embrace the leader had given him, upon learning that he wasn't the sole survivor. Those things had fooled him into thinking that perhaps there was a chance, but there wasn't. There wouldn't be.

He did not know how he was to move on.

Then, one afternoon, there was a knock on the door to his flat. He nearly did not go to it, expecting to see his father again, but since there was a chance that it was that girl Lily, he answered the summons.

He was completely shocked to see it was none other than Enjolras. "Grantaire," Enjolras greeted, sounding like he always did: uninterested.

"What do I owe this surprise to?" Grantaire asked.

Enjolras walked in, clearly not wanting others to hear. Grantaire shut the door, his gaze not leaving Enjolras' form. He now noticed that there was something different about Enjolras. He couldn't decide what it was, but it was something...

"I have come to apologize for any offense I might have caused last week." He said; he sounded almost reluctant to speak, as if he wished he was anywhere else.

Grantaire could not resist saying, "Apollo apologizing? I have never heard of such a thing."

Enjolras ignored him. "Prouvaire and I have noticed your absence, and we have wondered where you were."

"Forgive me, I have been occupied." Grantaire said, a smile coming to his lips. Enjolras for once did not seem angry or disdainful of him. This was something he could deal with.

"With what?" The other man asked.

"I'm a busy man." Grantaire replied, grinning. "The same could be said of yourself. However, I doubt you spend much time at operas or with lovely ladies."

"Do you suppose you will return?" Enjolras inquired; once again, Grantaire felt that there was something different in the way he held himself. It was odd.

"Why would I spoil the surprise?" He said.

Enjolras let out a deep breath, and opened his mouth, as if to say something, and then hesitated, before saying, "Well." He crossed over to the door. "I will see you tomorrow afternoon, Grantaire." Then he was gone.

Grantaire stood there, rooted to the spot. Enjolras had sounded so commanding, like his words were an order. I will see you tomorrow afternoon, Grantaire. He swallowed hard, and considered defying Enjolras' request, and avoiding the Café. Only for a moment however, for a thought had now crossed his mind. If he truly hated me like he acts, then why would he come looking for me? Against his will, a spark of hope blossomed inside him. Hope that perhaps Enjolras did not disprove of him so greatly...

His mind then went to the strange manner in which Enjolras had been acting. Grantaire was positive that something had changed about it, yet he did not know what. Deciding to have a drink, he left his apartment, deep in thought...