~CHAPTER 13~

T. A. 2941
Beorn's house and Mirkwood

𝔼arly hours of the morning were coming to an end as the sun climbed higher and higher, slowly reaching its final position in the sky. Its rays warming the earth, making everything look fresh and prosperous. After breakfast Beorn supplied the company with all sorts of food. Bread and meat for the Dwarves, vegetables and fruits, and a lot of lembas for Fanyawen. He instructed them to await him at the eastern door, where their mounts will be waiting. On their way there, Fanyawen and Gandalf separated from the rest of the group for one last word with their host.

"You will leave my ponies before you enter the forest. The horses you can keep," he instructed them. He cared for his animals as they were like a family to him and Fanyawen knew this. She looked up at him and gave him a sweet smile while nodding her head. She was grateful that she could keep the horse for it could always come in handy  to have a ride at disposal. Uilos somehow made out what she was thinking, so he jealously bit her ear. She quickly smacked his beak away, not enjoying it in the slightest, especially with how sensitive her ears were.

"Oh, you have my word," said Gandalf, reassuring their safe return. All their heads suddenly snapped to the tree tops as they heard loud cawing. Not a second later a great, black bird, with shiny feathers and long sharp talons, emerged from the trees, making loud noises as it went.

"A scout," breathed Fanyawen, her gaze never leaving the beautiful animal. She slowly reached for her bow and an arrow to shoot their tracker, but a strong hand atop of hers stopped her. She looked up at Beorn in question as he shook his head.

"Every life is precious, little one. He did not chose this, no. He never knew any different," Beorn wisely advised her. She hesitantly removed her hand and blankly stared at him for she never considered sparing her enemies' lives. They followed them, attacked them, even killed them and yet, Beorn still believed they could be changed. She almost scoffed at the thought but held it in out of manners.

"We're being watched," mumbled Gandalf as he followed the bird with his gaze, then looked back at Fanyawen. With his head he motioned to Uilos and she immediately got the message.

"Neuroya meldënya. San tulnio," (follow him my friend. Then return to me) she whispered to her eagle in the ancient language. He spread his wings and, with a melodious cry, took off, following the black raven.

They stared after him for a long while, watched his figure retreating into the clouds. As they begun walking again, Beorn turned to his guests, "The Orcs will not give up. They will hunt the Dwarves until they see them destroyed. As for you, Fanyawen..."

"I know. They want me dead as much as them," Fanyawen cut of the Beorning. In the moment of realisation her face went blank and something inside her changed. She never before thought of it this way. Her life could end any moment, any second, and yet she was always relaxed and carefree. The horror on her face must've been evident, for Beorn looked at her with pity. Fanyawen quickly recovered and in return, only glared, confusing him for a moment. She didn't need his compassion nor his worried glances. She scoffed, a dark look in her eyes making her even scarier.

She quickened her pace and made her way to one of the tallest trees at the edge of the forest. Her breaths were laboured and her vision was swimming all over the place.

How could I be so ignorant?

What was I thinking?

The feelings were becoming too much so she dealt with them the only way she knew; by ignoring them. She couldn't believe that after all those years of peace she almost got a panic attack again and broke her promise.