thirteen

Montgomery and Bryce paced around the kitchen debating whether or not they'd follow the tradition they do every year on Tatum's birthday. They have a cake for her but they aren't sure if waking her up is the best idea. They decided that she would probably be even more mad if they don't so they grab the cake and head up to her room. Gently opening the door, Monty sees that she is still asleep.

"Happy birthday!" Monty and Bryce both said at the same time. Tatum stirred a little before sitting up in her bed, rubbing her eyes.

"What are you doing?" She asked all confused.

"It's your birthday. Happy birthday babe," Monty said hoping she'd finally sit down and talk to her.

"Thanks. I want to talk to you later okay?" he nodded. She made the two leave so she could get ready for school. When she went downstairs, she saw that her parents weren't home. They never were. The were barely even there for her when she told them she was raped, and now they aren't even her for her seventeenth birthday. For her sixteenth they bought her a car and put a bow on it. She loved the gift but it was her parents way of making up for them not being there.

School went by slow for Tatum. She dreaded the conversation she'd be having with Monty later. Everyone that saw her would say happy birthday even if she didn't know them. People thought that being the sister of Bryce Walker made her popular. Maybe it made people know her name but she didn't think she was popular. To her she was just a normal girl with a group of friends. Now her group of friends had gone down. Monty and her aren't talking, same with Bryce. Justin is nowhere to be found. Scott follows Bryce around all day. The only people she really thought she had was Zach, Jess, and Alex. Jess was the only one who understood her pain. The physical, mental, and emotion pain they suffered.

After a long boring day at school, Tatum finally pulled into her driveway followed by Monty.

"Tate, hey. You ready to talk?" Monty ran up to her car to open her door for her.

"Sure. Lets go in my room." They walked upstairs into her room. He closed the door and stood by her dresser while Tatum sat on her bed.

"I'm sorry. For not telling you about Bryce. For keeping it a secret. For everything. I love you so much. I don't want to lose you. Please."

"I just can't believe that after what happened when I found out about myself, you kept it happening to Jessica a secret."

"I didn't know until the night before you found out. I promise I was going to tell you. I just didn't know how to." He took a few steps forward. He was surprised she hadn't moved.

"Ok. I'm pissed at Bryce but if you say you didn't know until the other night then I believe you."

"I love you,"

"I love you too." She leaned in and their lips met. The familiar feeling of their lips touching came back. She had been wanting to kiss him forever now.

"You should get ready for your party," Monty said, their foreheads touching.

"I don't know if I want one." She moved away staring at the ground. Bad memories flooding back into her mind.

"Hey, look at me." His finger tilts her chin up, "it's your seventeenth birthday. You have to have a party. I promise you, I will make sure nothing happens to you, alright? I will keep my eyes on you like I always do." she nodded her head, giving him one last kiss before pushing him out of her room to get ready. She was glad they were able to have a talk. She missed talking to him daily just about anything.

+++

Tatum had just finished making her rounds, talking to a couple of people she knew, thanking them for coming. She wished Jessica and Alex were there but she knew it was best if they didn't come.