two

Tatum had just received a box of tapes with numbers on them. She went to the basement storage to see if her parents still had an old boombox she could use. After three minutes, she found one and made her way upstairs to her room. She put the tape in and started listening.

"Hey, it's Hannah. Hannah Baker," Tatum froze. Her dead friend was just playing through the boombox. "That's right. Don't adjust your... whatever device you're hearing this on. It's me, live and in stereo. No return engagements, no encore, and this time, absolutely no requests. Get a snack. Settle in. Because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to this tape... you're one of the reasons why. I'm not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, your name will pop up. I promise. Anyway, the rules here are pretty simple. There are only two. Rule number one: you listen. Number two: you pass it on. Hopefully, neither one will be easy. It's not supposed to be easy, or I would have emailed you an MP3. When you're done listening to all 13 sides, because there are 13 sides to every story... rewind the tapes, put them back in the box, and pass them on to the next person. Oh, and the box of tapes should have included a map. I'll be mentioning several spots around our beloved city. I can't force you to visit them, but if you'd like a little more insight, head for the stars. Or you know, throw the map away and I'll never know... or will I? " Tatum leaned back against her headboard and kept listening.

She listened as soon as she got to tape 10 she knew it was hers. "This next person, we were good friends, or so I thought. Tatum, welcome to your tape."

_____

"Hey Tatum," Monty said throwing his arm around her shoulder as they walked into school together. Montgomery de la Cruz, Tatum's best friend since they were the littlest of kids, the mean jock who pushes everyone who he doesn't like around, also known as Monty or to Tatum, Mont.

"Hey," she gave him a dry answer. She was thinking about the tapes from the night before. Why did Hannah say all that stuff about her? Now everyone on the tapes heard it. She knew what Justin, Jessica, Alex, Tyler, Courtney, Marcus, Zach, Ryan, and even her brother, Bryce Walker. She hadn't talked to Bryce since she got home from school yesterday. She didn't know what to say to him. She didn't know if she believed him or not.

"Monty, Tatum, hey," Bryce said walking up to the two best friends.

"uh, I have to go, talk to you later," she looked up at her best friend and gave him a smile before walking away to find Jessica.

"She okay? We usually ride to school this morning but she left pretty early." Bryce said, showing concern about his younger sister.

"She seems fine to me. I have first period with her so I can talk to her," Monty pats Bryce on the shoulder before headed off in the direction Tatum left in. He walked into his first period class, Alegbra 2 with Zach by his side. He went to the back of the room and sat in the desk next to Tatum's.

"Hey Tate, you okay? you seemed weird back there when Bryce showed up" Tatum looked away after he said Bryce's name.

"Yeah, no I'm fine." she adverted her attention to the front of the class where there teacher was just beginning to start the lesson for the day.

After the class was over, Tatum grabbed her stuff and headed for the door.

"Tatum, wait," Montgomery yelled after her. She turned around and waited for him and he jogged up to her.