Prolouge

"The proposed youth center at Rockwell will expand the services of Herrera Youth Foundation," I stated with my eyes directing at the people in front of me. As I scanned the table, I found my father nodding, so I continued what I was saying.

"Over the years, Herrera Youth Foundation has helped out-of-school youths by providing them scholarships to partnered schools, such as University of Isla de Cañas," I said.

My grandparents established the youth foundation. It was handed over to Dad, then to me. This foundation will always have a special place in my heart. I liked helping people, especially ang mga walang kakayanang mag-aral gayong mayroon naman silang talento at talino. They are just not financially stable.

Noon, ay sa barangay namin ako naging youth commissioner. Although, now that have a clinic to tend to, without the books, exams, and projects huddled at my back, mas makapaglalaan na ako ng oras para sa youth foundation. And I plan to widen the area of people we can reach. Hindi lang sa Tagan at Vasco, I plan to help those in Rockwell as well.

I arranged a meeting with the de Leon Constructions. Sila ang nakapagbid para sa project na ito. Well, I can already see na kahit papano ay hindi magiging sakit sa ulo ang pagpapatayo ng youth center. Engineer de Leon is good, even the best in the island only after his father.

Siya ang kausap ko ngayon, along with the Board of Trustees, the investors and sponsors. Kasama na rin namin ang President ng Vasco Immaculate Academy, ang prospect school namin para sa partnership ng scholarship programs.

Though, may mga investors na hindi nakarating, it didn't bother us. This was a meeting mainly with DLC, I will arrange another appointment some other time for the other investors.

"Rockwell is already a developing municipality. So, definitely, we aim to encourage the teens there to join our foundation. Considering na kahit ang operations ay limited lang noon dito sa Vasco, mayroon nang nakakatanggap ng scholarships na residents ng Rockwell para sa University of Isla de Cañas," I added.

"Let's just think of it as a way to reach out more youth without having them travel back and forth from Vasco and Rockwell. It's also great, since may campus ang VIA sa Rockwell. The center will serve as a second home especially to those who cannot afford to go to school."

Education. Growing up, I have always thought that studying was for my benefit. A special card I could use as an advantage against other people in the future. To be knowledgable is to be powerful. It seemed as a way to avoid unfortunate events in the future.

But what pursuing medicine taught me, was it was not a card to be used against people. To be knowledgable meant I had a greater capacity in understanding how I can help the unfortunate, especially those who cannot read nor write.

It didn't mean that I was educated for myself. It meant I was educated because I serve a greater purpose in sharing this knowledge.

"I am sincerely grateful for the trust that you have bestowed upon Herrera Youth Foundation. May the Rockwell Youth Center be a symbol of a new path we will walk together!" With that, I ended my speech.

The table applaused while my father stood up, in his eyes I saw he was proud of me. Me, too, Dad. I'm proud. This is just the start, we are just at the beginning. I can only pray and hope for the best.

"That was great, son. Remind me na sa susunod, ikaw na ang ipakukumbinsi ko sa Mommy mo na ipagluto tayo ng Sinigang kapag Sunday," my Dad laughed, as he patted me on the back.

I chuckled at his statement. Well, only if Mom could be easily convinced then I would've tried.

After greeting me, Dad went back to his seat and chatted with VIA's President and Board Members.