chapter one.

July 10th. This was the finally the day, I’m finally 18.

My whole life I’ve lived in Maryland, which just also happens to be the most boring place ever. Nothing exciting ever happened, and my whole life I’ve been looking for exciting.

My life here wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t the best either. I’m well aware people have it worse in other places, but when the bad happens to you it’s hard to think of it that way. Not only was Maryland the most boring place ever, but it also contained the worst memories a girl my age could have.

I’ve had a roof over my head and clothes on my back which I am eternally grateful for thanks to my grandparents, but I’ve never had a dad to show me how a man should treat you, or a mom to show you how to never let a man walk all over you. Maybe if I had those figures around in my life, I never would have fallen for Michael. But, I didn’t.

I’ve been counting the minutes, hours, days, months, and years until this day.

I’ve always had a fascination with New York City, and today that’s exactly where I intend on moving and nothing can stop me. I will miss my grandparents though, but I think they understand. Plus, it’s not like I’m not going to visit.

This place is not made for me, I don’t belong, and I can’t be stuck surrounded by things that remind me of him and my past anymore.

I’m finishing packing the rest of my bags when I hear my door open. “Sophia, are you sure you don’t want to stay? Just for a little while longer?” my grandmother asked me, I could tell she didn’t want me to go. I didn’t want to leave my grandparents, they were my family. But I just can’t stay here anymore. I can’t.

Instead of answering I just walk over and hug my grandmother for the longest time. I’m going to miss this. I whispered “I’m sorry” to her and she just rubbed my back showing she understood which I will be forever grateful for. “Here, let me help you carry these down.” She told me with a small smile, and grabbed one of my suitcase’s and headed downstairs.

I took one last look around my room, making sure I didn’t leave anything. I noticed something on the floor near the bed and I bent down to pick it up. It was a picture of me and Michael. We were on a date at a carnival and we were at the top of a Ferris wheel, which was my biggest fear but Michael had convinced me to go on. His arms were wrapped around me and my face was hidden in the crook on his neck and he had the biggest smile on his face. That was the day I knew I loved him. No matter where I was or what I was doing, as long as I had Michael I would be safe. At least that’s what I thought.

I didn’t even realize I was crying until I saw a tear drop hit the floor, and I quickly composed myself and ripped the picture in half. I haven’t seen Michael in about a year now. Apparently he moved away, but I had no idea where, no one did. I missed him of course, but over time it got easier. He ruined me. I was a broken girl afraid to love, and when I did he showed me why I was afraid to begin with.

I grabbed my other suitcase and headed down the stairs to say goodbye to my grandparents, already feeling the nerves kick in and the tears starting to well in my eyes again. 

A/N: Probably going to be posting every Friday after I have a few chapters up:)