In Joy and Sorrow

In joy and sorrow my home's in your arms
In world so hollow
It is breaking my heart
In joy and sorrow my home's in your arms
In world so hollow
It is breaking my heart

- In Joy and Sorrow by HIM

Chapter 12 - In Joy and Sorrow

A few days later Mickey got a secret note from Mr Field "C. Gallagher comes back next week"

He called Ian into his room in the evening.
"Come here", the Milkovich grinned sitting on his bed, he patted the blanket next to him.
Ian locked the door and walked up to Mickey's bed, he crawled next to him and kissed him shortly.

"I've got news for you.", Mickey said. Ian looked at him confused while Mickey took the file from next to him and gave it to Ian, "I found your brother."

Ian's eyes went wide, He opened the file with an open mouth.
"How did you?"
"I told Angus to find him. He's doing some important diplomatic border run or something. Angus makes sure he comes back by next week."
Ian looked at him and was so relieved he just fell against him and hugged him tightly, "Fuck, this is the first thing I hear about Carl in months."
"Yeah, he wasn't allowed to have contact with your family for this operation. Some overly complicated shit."
"And Mr Field gets him back without something happening to him?", Ian looked him in the eyes.
"I said to him if anything happens to your brother, he's gonna be next, so... I guess he's doing his best to get him out of there without casualties."

Ian smiled and kissed him again, "Fuck you make so happy right now, you can't even imagine."
Mickey smiled back, "Yeah... and when he's back you can finally stop worrying and... leave the cartel."

Ian looked at him confused, "What?... Do you... are you breaking up with me? Do you want me to leave?"
"No!", Mickey said quickly and put one hand on his cheek, "I just want to know you safe, Ian, I love you."
"I love you too", he could cry of joy right now, he was grinning over his whole face, looking more like Dimitri than ever.

"Yeah and... I thought, well... Sandy and I talked about something."
"About what?", he asked, he didn't expect the topic change.
"She left the city and can live freely with her sexuality in New York... she said, I could do the same."
Ian raised his eyebrows, "You want to go to New York?"
"Not necessarily New York. Even though that's were Sandy is and I'd like to be around her again. I just want to leave. I want to kiss someone without looking for guns first."
"With that president that place will be hard to find."

Mickey rolled his eyes, "I just want out. And I think my dad will let me go to some other city, so at least he doesn't have the rebel-son in front of everyone anymore."
"Well... if that's what you want, Mick... it's for the best, I'm sure... but I'll miss you."

Mickey shook his head, "No, you don't get it, Gallagher, I want you to come with me."
"With you?", Ian asked, "To New York?"
"Wherever the fuck we want to go. Hell, maybe dad's gonna give me the money to live in fucking London or some shit, I don't know. I just want you to be there with me.", he said smiling.

He expected Ian to be just as happy as he was about this, but Ian only bit his lip.
"Mickey... that sounds nice, it really does, but... I always planned to finally join the Army when I found Carl."
"The army?", Mickey asked with raised eyebrows.
"Yes, it's what I've trained to do my whole life, Mick. It's what I always wanted."
"Bu-But... What", Mickey stuttered perplexed, "But that's bullshit!"

"It's my dream, Mickey..."
"It's a bullshit dream!"
Ian sighed, "Listen, I love you, I really do, but... I've known you for a few months I wanted to join the military for years. It doesn't mean we can't be together."
"Yes, it does."
"No, it doesn't."
"Then why did you bring it up as counter-argument when I said we could leave together?"