Chapter 3: Enchanted Night

It was a few days before Halloween and everyone was getting excited for the big Halloween masquerade ball. Krista was in the lounge, writing lyrics and playing her guitar.

"Hey Krista." Kayla said walking over to one of the couches.

"Hey." Krista smiled.

"There's this guy in one of my classes that keeps staring at me and he's a total nerd. It's making me feel awkward and all that."

"Wow, but don't you think he's cute though."

"I try not to look at him because every time I glance over, he's eyeing me down. Although here and there he looks away and blushes."

"Well, it's obvious that he likes you if he does that. Try talking to him at some point."

Kayla looked down and then back up at her.

"What are you doing?"

"Just writing a song that I couldn't get out of my head. I'm still working out the kinks in it." she laughed. Kayla smiled and checked her phone.

"Hey I have to go. I'll see you later."

Krista waved and went straight back into her writing. She got so lost in it that she didn't even notice Max standing right in front of her.

"Hey Krista."

"Oh, hey Max. Sorry I didn't know you were standing there." Krista laughed.

"What are you up to?" he asked as he say down next to her.

"Just writing a song."

"So that makes you a famous songwriter, huh?"

"Um...I guess local famous. I'm not like Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran here."

"But still, I bet they're good. By the way I need your number."

"Oh yeah, same."

They exchanged phones and typed in each other's number.

"So, um...are you going to the masquerade ball coming up on Saturday?" Max asked, trying not to stutter. Whenever he saw Krista, his heart would skip a beat and he couldn't believe that he was talking to her. At night, he would lie in bed wide awake, thinking about her.

"Oh, I haven't really thought about it. I might go, it seems like fun."

"Oh well, um....I-I was j-just wondering if y-you wanted to go with me."

Krista looked up at him. His cheeks were red. He looked embarrassed.

"Sure, what time should I be ready?"

"Does seven work with you?"

Krista nodded and the two smiled. Max stayed by her side as she was writing and the two would talk about their life.

"How long have you been playing guitar?" Max asked.

"I've been playing since I was twelve and I started writing songs at thirteen. My first song I ever wrote was about my friend who died of a disease years ago."

"I'm really sorry."

"It's okay. The family appreciates it." she said. She looked back up at him and smiled slightly. He did the same and placed a hand on her shoulder. The two decided to go out for a walk around campus. After their walk, Krista went around to find Kayla. She finally saw her in a hallway quickly ran up to her.

"Hey can you help go find a dress for the masquerade ball?"

"Sure, you going with anyone?"

"My friend Max asked if I wanted to go."