9

Bella's P.O.V.

"I didn't mean to.", I whispered, "I really am sorry." Mr. Nichols sighed,

"Bella you're like, what? Fourteen?" I nodded. "I really don't think I need to explain why you can't throw things at people like a toddler. A pencil or something, I could brush off. But an entire fucking book?", he stifled laughter as I tried to do the same, "It's not- It's not funny.", he said, still smiling a little, "Okay, it's really funny. But you're still in trouble kid."

"I know. I was gonna knock her out. Hell, I still am."

"Knowing your brother, I do not reccomend it."

"It'd be worth it."

"Montebella Gianna it is only third period.", I heard Luca scold from the doorway, "Why am I already getting calls?"

"We talked. She didn't mean to hit me with a text book.", Mr. Nichols said.

"Hit you with- What!? You threw a textbook!? Why? What would go through your head to make you think that was okay?" Mr. Nichols looked for the answer too, as I hadn't told him.

"She-She called me an orphan." Luca sighed,

"You're not an orphan. Let's go have a chat."

"I'll talk with Maria.", Mr. Nichols said softly, "Have a good day Monte."

"You too."

₩₩₩₩

I whined,

"I don't wanna."

"I don't care what you want in this situation.", Luca said holding his belt, "Bend over the fucking desk before I make you cut a switch. You really want all your friends to see you cutting a switch for me to wear out on your ass?" I shook my head. "Then bend over before I embarrass you too Montebella."

"Fine." I reluctantly laud over the desk, tending up as he flipped my skirt up,

WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!

He flipped my skirt back down and hung his belt back on the wall,

"Up. Go to class." I stood up, wiping my tears and peering up at him. No hug? No forgiveness? No 'I love you'? "I can't legally hug you as my student.", he explained softly.

"But you hug me as my brother here."

"Bella, just go to class kid." I hesitated but nodded a little just as the lunch bell rang. "Hey. Your english grade needs to improve.", he said as I went to the door.

"I-I only have a C."

"I expect A's and B's Montebella."

"I'm trying my best.", I whispered.

"Then we'll get you a tutor. Or you can do extra work or something. It makes me look bad when you have bad grades." Luca had never been one to care about image.

"Oh. O-Okay. I'm sorry Luca. I'll do better." He nodded once, glancing at me,

"Don't call me that here."

"Sorry sir."

₩₩₩₩

Micah came out of his classroom, behind his class,

"Hey kid."

"Can I have a hug?", I whispered. He nodded, hugging me tightly as I let out the breath I'd been holding.

"Are you okay?" I shook my head. "What's wrong?"

"Is this about earlier?", I heard Mr. Nichols ask, "I'm sorry. I wasn't upset with you Monte. It was an accident." I shook my head, stepping back from Micah,

"No. I-I'm just dumb-"

"Hey. Don't talk about my sister like that.", Micah said sternly.

"I'm sorry fr-", I paused, "Sir." Micah sighed a little, pulling me into his room as Mr. Nichols followed,

"You seemed fine earlier and now you're all fucked up. What happened?" I sat in Micah's desk chair in a ball, messing with my skirt,

"Maria was right."

"No she was not.", Mr. Nichols said sternly.

"Yes she was. Luca never should have had to take me in. Now He-He isn't my brother. He hates me now."

"Micah-", Luca bolted into the room and froze, his eyes on me, "You should be at lunch. Aren't you eating?" I shook my head, looking away from him,

"I'm not hungry... sir."

"Stop that. Please.", he said softly, "I'm sorry Bella."

"It's my fault. It's always my fault."

"What happened?", Micah and Mr. Nichols asked. Luca sat in a desk, sighing,

"A few days ago, Geo was having a bad day and I hugged him between classes. The school board chewed me out about it. They said when I'm on the clock, I'm your principal and not your brother. End of story. They said I can't hug you guys or act like your brother because I'm not. I really like this job and I didn't wanna lose it. I'm sorry I treated you like shit Bella."

"It's fine. I understand."

"You're still upset-"

"I'm upset with myself.", I said quickly, "I'm glad you like this job. I'm really happy for you. I want you to keep it and if that means I'm not your sister for eight hours, so be it." The bell rang as I got up, "I need to go to class."

"I love you."

"Me too.", Micah said as I went to leave. I nodded a little, walking out with Mr. Nichols,

"How can I get my grade up?", I asked softly.

"You have a C. Barely."

"It's not good enough.", I shrugged. He sighed,

"You can come to tutoring tonight."

₩₩₩₩

"I just wish I was smart.", I whispered.

"You are smart Monte."

"No I'm not. I feel like school is you get it or you don't and if you don't, you're just fucked. You just have to wing it and hope for the best and you can spend hours going over text books and taking notes and it won't do anything. Some people are just dumb and I'm just dumb. I'd give anything to be smart."

"Kiddo, just because you don't learn quickly or like everyone else does not mean you're dumb. School may not be your best thing, but you have other things you're incredible at that no one else can do."

"Like what?", I scoffed.

"Like drawing. And being a leader-"

"I'm not a leader."

"But you are. People want to be in your group for projects because you get shit done. You know what you're doing and what you want and you make it happen. That's a hard thing for a lot of people to do."

"Well it doesn't help get me into college or save my brothers reputation."

"What?" I sighed,

"Luca- oh, sorry, Mr. Russo- said I need to get my grade up in here. He expects A's and B's and it makes him look bad." I paused, "He can't be my brother to hug me during school, but he can be my brother to make me feel ten times worse than I already did. He can be my brother to ridicule me when I'm doing my best. I just-I just wish my best was good enough. He's never been the one to give a shit about what other people thought or how he looked to anyone but his family and now he does. Did-Did I do that?" He hesitated,

"I don't know Monte. I'm sorry. I see you're doing your best and I'm really proud of you. I know it's not the same coming from me, but it's true. We'll get your grade up, but it's far from the only problem here kiddo."

"I know."