11

Bella's P.O.V.

"And dads? Like plural? Including you?", I added to my previous question. Liam sighed,

"Alex is my brother.", he said softly, "He's fourteen, almost fifteen. He was born when I was fifteen and my dad's girlfriend that week didn't want him so she tried to drown him. It caused a lot of brain damage and he's basically an eight year old in a fifteen year olds body. And that will probably never change. When he got out of the hospital, my brother was twenty and working three jobs to try and provide for us and I decided to handle it. I moved in with my boyfriend at the time, who had an apartment because he was eighteen, and we started to raise Alex. Eventually, we caved and added someone to help pay the rent and babysit when we were working or at school. That's when Zayn and Ashton moved in with me and Zavier. We were all kinda... dating... within two months. Alex basically has four dads and that's all he ever needs to know. And even with four of us, he's a handful."

"So Alex is your brother but as far as he knows he's your son?"

"Yes."

"And you're gay and poly?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Cool." He glanced at me,

"What?", he laughed. I shrugged,

"I said cool. Not that it matters, but I think you did the right thing from the beginning. Clearly it's worked out. Alex seems like a great kid and you're a great person." I paused, "I have no problem with people loving who they love. If you work better with multiple partners, that's your business. My brothers could never handle me and Geo and Leo if there was only one or two of them. It takes a village, with everything. There's not shame in needing or wanting help." He smiled softly,

"I don't understand how you can be so mean to yourself."

"What?"

"You're an incredible person Bella. You talk so much shit on yourself but you're one of the nicest people I've ever met. You never do anything wrong. You're as close to perfect as I've ever seen." I laughed,

"I'm far from perfect. And I do a lot wrong. You just know the good side of me I guess."

"Maybe. I still can't imagine there being a terrible side to you kid. There's not a mean bone in your body."

"I told my brother I hated him once.", I shrugged. He laughed,

"Bells, I tell my brother I hate him once a week and I'm thirty. It's what siblings do. They don't really mean it most of the time. He knows I love him and he's my best friend. I still feel bad sometimes, yeah, but in the end we're brothers and he's the only one who's stood by me since the beginning."

"I was really sad at the time. It was when dad died. I still kinda feel bad."

"But he knows you didn't mean it. People say mean things when they're in pain."

"Hey, are we gonna play basketball or telephone?", Michael asked.

"Basketball"

"Telephone.", Liam said at the same time I did.

"Montebella let's go!", Mr. Russo called across the gym. Everyone froze.

"Late practice. I'll find a ride.", I called back, quieter.

"No. I don't want a teenager driving you home."

"I can drive her.", Liam said, "It's no problem."

"Thanks.", he looked back to me, "And you better get your work done. That was our agreement young lady."

"Yes sir.", I said quietly.