First glance

He sat in the far back corner of class, his hood pulled low over his face. He was flipping through a book about various things. He was far from attractive though he might have been once upon a time. He wore broken glasses that had been a gift from his father. Behind them rested two dark blue eyes, completely hidden by the cracked lens. His right eye had a very large bruise on it. As a matter a fact it was so large that his glasses couldn't even hide it completely, which is why he wore his hood so low.

His lips were swollen and his nose was deformed from being broken too many times. Dark bags rested under his eyes but were mostly hidden by his beloved broken shades. His hair was a bit tangled, the dark blue highlights that it held scattered everywhere.

Behind his swollen lips two of his teeth were missing, from one of his most brutal beatings. Kids at this school thought he made an excellent punching bag, and he knew that he did. He never fought back, never shared what happened. He knew he could beat them all to a pulp but it was against his nature to harm other people.

The teacher brought in a new boy and he was...something else. His hair was a dark brown and stuck out which way. His eyes had dark circles around them which contrasted with his pale skin. His shoulders were slouched and he had what reassembled a tired smile on his face. Honestly he looked like he was high.

He was introduced to the class as Gamzee Makara and was given the empty seat beside Equius. He pretended not to care and went back to reading his book as the boy sat beside him. As he glanced at the boy from behind his shades he got the strangest feeling. A feeling that everything was about to change, for the better or the worse.