fifty two

[unedited]

a.c.

"Oh my gods, Acadia, can you fucking chill? We don't need to get pulled over on our way!"

Acadia takes another sharp right and I slam into the door. Percy lets out a low groan. We're almost at the freeway, and then it'll be smooth sailing to Long Island. Percy's sweaty head rolls around in my lap, his legs and arms sprawled across the backseat of Acadia's sedan. I feed him tiny nibbles of ambrosia, but it's only relieving his pain momentarily. It hasn't helped heal his wound either. I've stuffed his t-shirt on the front of his stomach and my sweatshirt under his back. They're not completely soaked through with blood yet, but they're alarmingly close.

Smoke rises from the wounds, making it hot to the touch. I only have a couple of water bottles, so I try and ration them to keep him as wet as possible. It makes a hissing sound when I pour it over the holes in his body, but his distraught face relaxes which can only make me believe that it's helping in some way.

"Your eyes look like big slabs of rock," Percy grumbles. His, in turn, are bleary and glazed over.

"They always look like big slabs of rock," I remind him, running my fingers through his locks of hair and pushing them away from his forehead.

He hums a song. It's alarming me that he isn't suffering. Of course, I'm happy that he doesn't seem to be in pain, but this wound is too large to ignore. I wonder if it's harming his brain, too.

Acadia zooms down the highway. She doesn't have a map and I don't give her directions, but she knows where to go. Every time Percy starts to shut his eyes, I pinch him. His left cheek is getting dangerously pink.

"I'm tired, baby," he mutters, curling his legs up. "I'm going to have a nap."

"No, honey, please," I say as I brush my thumb along his lips. They're parched. Percy has never been dehydrated in his life like this. "Just stay awake and talk to me for a few minutes."

"Not to be dramatic, but I feel like I'm going to fucking die," he whispers, kissing my fingers. "And I know what it's like to feel like I'm going to die."

My heart falls. I was worried, but now I'm panicking. "Acadia, speed up."

"But you said..."

"I know what I said." My voice comes out more shrill than I would have liked it to. "Speed up."

She does.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I love my boyfriend with my whole heart but he is one fat fucker. "Walk with me, babe. Come on."

He leans against my shoulder, almost no weight left on his feet. I drag him up the hill, lugging my feet. He collapses, knocking me over, and I decide it's easiest just to drag him. I squeeze his wrists, pulling him. I'm aware that there's a fresh trail of blood streaking behind us, but I don't care. He needs a healer.

"Acadia, a little help?" I scream. We're so close to the borders, but when I look down at his chalky face and gaping mouth, I feel like I'm a million miles away.

Acadia runs up the hill and lifts up his legs. We run towards the entrance and I shout for help. The first person I see is Frank Zhang. I don't care enough to wonder what he's doing here. He jogs towards us up the hill. "Annabeth, oh my gods, what's going on?"

"Get a healer from the Apollo cabin. We need help."

Frank takes off. I know it bothers him to see Percy like this. Their relationship reminds me almost of mine and Luke's; Frank feels slightly indebted to Percy for how much he helped build his character and even though they're friends, it's hard for Frank to ever feel like an equal to Percy.

We lug him towards the Big House. Chiron notices us coming. My vision is blurry and I don't know if it's because I'm tired or near tears or sweating so much. "Annabeth! Acadia! Put him on my back!"

Using the rest of my strength, Acadia and I heave Percy's limp body onto the centaur's back and he gallops away. I fall to the ground, wheezing. Acadia gently wraps her hands around my arms and ushers me to the Big House. A figure runs towards us, a bow and quiver slung on his back. The broad shoulders and blonde mop of hair can only belong to Will Solace, and I instantly feel better. Frank isn't far behind him, and he's with Piper and Jason.

Will breezes right past Acadia and I, but I don't mind. Jason is the first one to get to me, and he wraps me in his arms and carries me over to one of the patio chairs. "You don't look good, Annabeth."

"What's wrong with Percy?" Piper asks, putting her hand to my forehead. She answers the question for me. "Obviously something important, but damn, girl, you need to take care of yourself. You look like you haven't slept in days and sporadically fought a flock of angry birds while you were taking a break from bathing in lava."

"Nice to see you too, Pipes," I grin weakly. The whole drive up, I'd been so worried about Percy I hadn't realized how much I'd been hurting. I'm a little dazed.

Jason's arms circle around my neck and knees. He slips out from under me and lays me on the lounging chair. "I'm going to get you some nectar. Stay put."

I hear Percy wail our in pain from inside. I start to cry. Acadia's worried face starts to swim. Hazel appears. Drew shows up. The overhang starts spinning in circles. Liquid strawberry parfait dribbles into my mouth.

I let out a long sigh and fall asleep.

- - - - - - - - - -

Six thousand views? 200 votes? My heart is endlessly full. Thanks for it all. My words of wisdom for this week are to stan Uncle Rick, to recognize what privilege you have in life and to continue to be mindful of how your actions can help and harm others. Be kind, as I know you all are.

Thank the gods for everything in your life that brings you happiness.

Love, tumblingupwards