Chapter 7

Benjamin sat at his desk, Lucas on the other side with the clear desire to be elsewhere.

"So, how's Ella doing?"

"She's adjusting. Nervous about her powers. But more talkative than day one."

"She's very shy."

Lucas nodded. "Aren't all little kids like that?"

"Lots of them," Benjamin agreed, "has she said anything about her family?"

Lucas frowned and shook his head, "her mother visited yesterday, right?"

Benjamin nodded, "that's kind of why you're here."

Lucas looked more invested as he sat up straighter, "oh?"

"She was... she was very nervous about seeing her mother. Her mother slightly forceful. All of this on camera."

"You think she comes from a bad household?"

"It's too early to say. But I want to keep an eye on things. Can you direct the conversation in that direction, see if you can get any useful info?"

"Yes Sir."

"Don't call me Sir," Benjamin complained. "Thank you."

Lucas left.

That night, like every night, Lucas pulled out a movie to watch with Ella. "This one is terrible," he pushed the video into the player, his finger on the play button, "real cliché. Family fun kinda film."

Ella nodded, "sounds good."

Lucas pressed play, "it's just that kind of perfect family nobody has. You know?"

Ella looked away, "sure."

"Like, I love my family but we had problems, we argued."

"Sorry to hear that."

"What about you?"

"My family..." Ella stared at the ground then up at the film as if invested while she got her thoughts together, "is fine."

"Fine?"

She sighed, "they're there."

"That's the bare minimum, right?"

"My mother is loving and caring. She's always been there for me. I know she worries. But I don't know her. She's just there. I don't know what she likes, what she thinks, what she feels. It's almost like she's not a real person, just... she's my mother, and that's all she is. Does this make any sense to you?"

Lucas shook his head.

Ella laughed, "I'm sorry. I don't know why I'd think this is relatable."

"Hey, don't say that," Lucas sat up, "just because I don't get it doesn't mean nobody does. I bet there's a million people out there who know exactly what you're talking about."

Ella smiled, "thanks."

Then the family on TV said something so ridiculously cliché they both burst out laughing.

"Okay, but nobody can relate to that!" Ella pointed at the tv.

Lucas reported back to Benjamin with a complicated, but not necessarily abusive family situation. Benjamin was relieved, but still cautious. He took note and decided to allow another visit next week.

This time Ella's mother didn't dare touch her daughter. She sat facing her, respecting the distance between them.

Ella kicked her legs back and forth and didn't look her mother in the eyes.

"So, I'm told you're doing well in classes overall."

Ella nodded, "except maths."

"You always loved maths?"

"Yeah... I guess my head just isn't where it needs to be."

Ella's mother nodded, "of course. I fully understand. Don't worry about it Sweetheart. Are you sleeping better?"

Ella nodded. "Yeah, ever since umm... Mr Whiskers... I didn't realize how much better that little piece of home would make me feel."

The woman smiled, "oh, I'm so glad to hear that. And how's therapy?"

Ella tensed up a little, wondering how attentive Benjamin and Caroline were to the conversation. "I don't... I..."

"I know it can be hard. But it's really important, what happened... oh, it was so terrible."

Ella didn't respond.

"You are seeing a therapist, right?"

"I-I'll talk to Benjamin about it after, I'd forgotten... with everything else going on."

Ella's mother looked about to scold her but instead just gave her head a soft shake. "I understand."

"I made a new friend. Kind of."

"Oh?"

"Lucas, we watch a movie together every night and chat. He eats lunch with me and explains how this whole place works. He's great."

"I'm so happy to hear that."

"I love you Mother."

"I love you too Sweetheart."

Ella moved to hug her, to feel held. They chatted for a little while after that before parting ways.

"That went well," Caroline praised as Ella exited the room.

Benjamin crossed his arms, "therapy?"

Ella looked down at her feet. "I um... before coming here, a couple of weeks before... a monster attacked while we were camping."

"Oh," Caroline placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, "that's horrible, you poor thing."

Ella held herself, "my best friend died."

Caroline froze, her hands lowered until they were holding Ella's, she looked up at Benjamin.

Ella bit her lip, tears fell down her face, "it must have been attracted by my magic... I..." tears fell onto Caroline's hand.

Benjamin knelt beside her, "we'll get you a therapist. It wasn't your fault."

Ella didn't look convinced as she wiped tears away. "I know I need to be here. For everyone's safety."

"We all are," Benjamin reminded, "we're all magic here. There's nothing bad about that."

Ella nodded.

"Let's get you back to your room," he offered her a hand before walking her back through the halls.