Chapter 13

Lucas had been in this position many times, but for the first time in years. He felt fear. Staring down at his opponent. However, he's fear soon faded when he saw how talented Ella was with a knife. She disarmed him in no time.

Abel who was overseeing the training frowned.

Thankfully, Lucas was a quick thinker, "woah, Ella, how'd you do that, I didn't even see you coming!"

Abel perked up, thinking of magic.

Lucas walked Ella towards Irys' classroom. "You really were good at knife wielding."

"I know," Ella rolled her eyes, looking down at her homework.

"Movie after class?"

Ella looked up with a smile, before quickly moving her gaze to the classroom, "of course."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, the usual."

"You're amazing, don't worry about what your power set will be."

She nodded as she headed into class.

Irys threw a lightning round of math questions at Ella. Having zero math ability, Ella failed every question in a panic, even the overly simplified ones.

"Okay, no super speed," Irys looked disappointed.

Ella sighed, "does everything we do in class have to revolve around magic?"

Irys hesitated.

"I get it. It's important. But the constant search for it make's me feel inadequate, with me not finding it and all."

Irys panicked, "oh, no Sweetheart! I never meant for that to happen."

"Well..." Ella looked down at her knees, "it did."

"Oh," Irys moved from behind the desk to kneel in front of Ella, trying to make eye contact while Ella refused. "I'm sorry. Would you like to learn algebra?" The tone implied algebra was a reward and Ella was about to take back her comments about magic.

Instead she nodded, "yes please."

Upon Ella's arrival at Lucas' room, he was practicing with a knife.

"Oh, did I make you feel bad today?" she grinned.

Lucas blushed, "no. You're amazing and I have no intention of reaching your grandiose levels of brilliance," he bowed. "but Abel pulled me aside, you know how he can be."

Ella frowned and shook her head.

"You know, 'if you fight like that you'll bleed out on the battlefield'," he imitated Abel's tone. Before frowning.

Ella looked nervous.

"I wouldn't, Benjamin's always there to keep me safe during missions. It's just Abel being... Abel."

Ella nodded. "Well, it might be a bit embarrassing being half your size and all," she gestured to herself, "but, if you want I could help."

Lucas smiled, "nothing embarrassing. Everybody is good at different things and just cause you're younger doesn't make that any less true."

"That's a yes?"

Lucas nodded.

"Good, because your posture is off."

They didn't watch a film that night. Ella helped Lucas until he was efficient enough to not get in trouble again. Ella enjoyed knife wielding, and Lucas was impressed by how well she could communicate her abilities to him.