Chapter 17

Lucas sat on the ground, close to the flames that crackled and mixed with the sound of the wind and ruffling leaves. Ella lay in his arms and he curled around her protectively.

He looked up when Benjamin came in with another armful of leaves. He was trying to shape beds for the three of them. "How is she?"

"Still sleeping," Lucas responded, his eyes half closed as he peered down at her.

Benjamin nodded. "You should sleep too, I'll keep watch."

Lucas nodded, lying Ella down in the thickest of the beds. "Wake me soon, I'll feel safer keeping watch, and you look about ready to collapse."

Benjamin smiled and nodded, "will do."

In the morning, Ella finally began to stir, there were several strong smells she couldn't quite recognize. When she opened her eyes she could just make out Lucas, fussing over something near the fire.

"Lucas?"

He turned around, putting down their breakfast and rushing to her side, "Ella?" he smiled, "you're awake, finally. I was beginning to worry. How you feeling?"

She felt like her body was made of metal, her head was spinning and the entire world was out of focus. Too tired to turn those feelings into words. "Tired."

Lucas nodded, "I'm not surprised. You saved our lives back there, we're safe now. Thanks to you."

She tried to sit up but couldn't hold up her own weight. Lucas moved to support her, he'd brewed some natural tea and roasted some berries. He helped her sip at the liquid and fed her some of the berries.

Ella swallowed obediently. "How long was I asleep for?"

"About a day so far."

"I'm still tired."

"Don't worry," Lucas lay her back down, "you saved us. You've done enough. Just rest, let us do the rest."

She nodded; her eyes already closed.

Lucas left her to go see Benjamin who was scouting the area, "Ella woke up."

"Good," Benjamin smiled, "exhausted?"

"Very," Lucas nodded, "I didn't ask her anything."

"Don't. Let her rest. Do you think she'll be awake enough to grab on so I can carry her on my back?"

Lucas shook his head, "she's already asleep."

Benjamin nodded, "that's fine. She's just small. If we push ourselves, we may be able to get back to the base tonight."

"I wouldn't count on it," Lucas rubbed his arm, "I'm exhausted."

Benjamin nodded, "well. The sooner we get back to the base the better."

"Why?" Lucas looked down, "they're going to interrogate us on what happened, they won't let us rest."

Benjamin frowned, "but it's home. It's safe."

"Is it?" Lucas looked back towards Ella, he could see her sleeping by the fire, he could see how her chest rose and fell. "She'll be a weapon."

Benjamin didn't want to think about that. It was true, it was obvious. "They'll train her for years first."

"Yeah... I'll get a couple of years of peace." His shoulders were tense, "I hate magic."

"Don't we all?"

When the base finally came into view, Lucas was leading the way. He was dragging his feet yet his pace sped up at the sight of home.

Benjamin couldn't match the pace. He was carrying Ella on his back, she was barely awake with her hands wrapped around his neck and her head resting on his shoulder.

"Look Ella, we're nearly there," Lucas smiled up at her.

Ella hummed and closed her eyes.

"Do you think... I know we're going to be interrogated, you think Ella can wait for us in the infirmary at the very least?"

Benjamin shrugged, "I hope so. But it's not up to me."

Lucas nodded. Slowing his pace and moving closer to his father.

Before they reached the base, Benjamin handed Ella over to Lucas. Placing himself at the front. He was unsurprised when the guards surrounded them and pointed weapons. Benjamin raised his hands, stating his name, rank and mission.

The men nodded and led them inside.

There, Caroline awaited with a disgruntled look, taking some quick notes, "I'm sorry to hear it. As you know we're going to have to—"

"Interrogate, I know."

Caroline smiled, "sorry Ben. Take them to room 376 please."

The guard led them to the court like room where they were seated at the centre. On wooden chairs in front of a wooden desk that had chains incorporated into it in case there was a need for restraint.

Ella rested her arms on the desk and her head on her arms. Half asleep.

Caroline came in shortly after, along with three other people. "Caroline," Benjamin looked at the woman, "is there no way she could go to the infirmary?" he gestured to Ella, "she's just a kid."

Caroline sighed, ruffled Ella's hair, "she's exhausted, isn't she? Sorry Benjamin, orders are to interrogate the three of you. It won't take long, I promise." She leaned in closer, whispering, "did she see much?"

Benjamin shook her head, "we know the others are dead thanks to Lucas' powers. She didn't see anything."

Caroline nodded, "thank goodness for that."

One of the men ordered to start.

Caroline turned to Benjamin, her eyes glowed, "let's start with you. Name and rank please."

"Benjamin Merton, Blue rank."

"What mission are you coming from?"

"A73."

"And how'd it go?"

"Bad. My son realized there were purple units, something we hadn't accounted for. I left to warn my companions, but they captured me, everyone else and soon my children. They kept me and my children for information while killing everyone else. We were lucky to escape alive."

Caroline nodded, "true. Lucas, name and rank please."

"Lucas Levine, I'm aqua rank. Reporting back from mission A73."

"What happened to your companions?"

"They died. I saw each and every one of them. They died at the hands of a machine that my Dad told me extracts magic. From what I could see, it was very painful."

Caroline's brows furrowed in pity, she nodded, before moving over to Ella. "Hello Sweetheart," she nudged her softly.

Ella looked up with tired eyes, "hi Miss Caroline."

"Can you tell me your name and rank Sweetie?"

Ella shook her head, "rank?"

Caroline smiled, "just your name then."

"Ella Carlton, Miss."

Caroline gave a confused look, "is um, is Ella short for something?"

"Yes, Elaine Carton, sorry. My name's Elaine Carton."

Caroline hesitated, before shaking her head, "um... she's lying."

Benjamin frowned, "we have her files, she can't be lying."

Caroline looked down at Ella who was beginning to wake up and look scared. "Any ideas Ella?"

"I um... no," she shook her head.

Another lie. Caroline's hands went behind her back, her expression became cold. "Ella, I want the truth. What's your name?"

Ella's eyes filled with tears and she held herself.

"Now, Ella."

"It's Abby, Abigail."

Caroline nodded, "good. Wait... how?"