27.

When Taehyung had stormed out with Hoseok following him, Seokjin wanted to go after them.

But then he remembered his mother's words: "Taehyung is old enough to take care of himself."

So he clenched his jaw and stood his ground, physically restraining himself from moving.

"JK, You have cameras around the house, right?" Seokjin asked Jungkook.

Jungkook nodded and tapped away on a keyboard, pulling up the cameras immediately. He clicked on the one which held live footage of Taehyung, who had retreated to the infirmary, and Hoseok, who was approaching him.

The 5 of them crowded around the computer, watching with baited breath.

There was no audio, but Seokjin watched as Taehyung's face contorted with rage, rage he had never seen in his brother before.

Taehyung stepped closer to Hoseok and jabbed a finger at his chest, likely threatening him. Seokjin's gut twisted at the sight of this, and his feet wouldn't stay put any longer. He turned on his heel and sped out of the room, heading to the infirmary. When he got there, Taehyung and Hoseok were still  in the same spots.

"Taehyung."

Seokjin didn't know how to control his tone. He didn't know what he even wanted his tone to be. He was confused and worried and he didn't know if he should've let that show in his voice.

At the sound of Seokjin's voice, Hoseok stiffened. He brushed past Taehyung and headed for the door.

Seokjin frowned. "Wait, Hoseok—"

But Hoseok walked faster, almost running out the door. It shut behind him and they were left in a silence, Seokjin's eyes scanning Taehyung.

"Tae, what did you say to him?"

Taehyung remained silent, his eyes on the wall behind Seokjin.

"Taehyung."

"I told him not to go near you again. I told him he's a villain. I told him he hurt people."

Seokjin closed his eyes and rubbed at his temple, shaking his head. "Taehyung, why—"

"Because he hurt you!"

Seokjin's eyes snapped open at Taehyung's outburst. He rarely heard Taehyung yell.

"Woah, woah, woah." Seokjin approached Taehyung and held his hands, massaging them between his own. It used to work to calm Taehyung down when he was younger. Now, not so much, but it was Seokjin's instinct.

"Talk to me, little dipper."

"He...." Taehyung swallowed hard. "He hurt you. He took you, hyung. He took you away from me."

"It wasn't his fault," began Seokjin, "Tae, we've been over this—"

"He hurt you." Taehyung's voice broke and Seokjin realized his eyes were shining with tears. Taehyung wasn't one to cry easily, so Seokjin knew there was something more to it.

"Tae, tell me what's going on in your head." Seokjin reached his hand up and stroked Taehyung's hair.

"H-He hurt you and I... I couldn't do anything." Tears streamed down Taehyung's cheeks now. He sniffed. "He took you away from me and... and he hurt you and I couldn't do anything about it."

Seokjin pulled Taehyung into his chest, hugging him tightly. The younger boy sobbed quietly, soaking Seokjin's shirt a little. Seokjin felt his own eyes tearing up, but he ignored it.

He pressed a kiss to Taehyung's head, mumbling, "Tae, I'm fine. He took me away but I came back, didn't I?"

Taehyung nodded against Seokjin's chest. "But I... I couldn't do anything. You... you always save me when I'm in trouble, but I couldn't—"

"You didn't have to do anything for me, Tae." Seokjin swallowed back the lump in his throat. "Namjoon got me back just fine. And I'm never leaving you again, I promise."

He heard Taehyung exhale shakily.

"You can't promise that."

Sometimes Seokjin wished Taehyung wasn't as smart as he was. Then, maybe, his life would be a little easier. Then Seokjin could protect him with little white lies like all older siblings do.

Taehyung was right. Seokjin couldn't promise that he'd always be by his side. He wished he could.

"Hey," Seokjin said. He released Taehyung from the hug and wiped his tears off of his cheeks. "Enough of that."

Taehyung sniffed. With a start, Seokjin realized that Taehyung hadn't cried this hard since middle school. He chose to ignore that observation.

"C'mon, let's go home." Seokjin wrapped an arm around Taehyung's shoulder and led them out of the infirmary and out of the house. Taehyung leaned into his side as they left, and Seokjin sighed, mildly frustrated at how complicated things had to be for the team.

It was partially his fault for not stopping Taehyung before he got too angry at Hoseok. Taehyung was old enough to handle his own problems, which was true, Seokjin admitted that. But their mother was wrong in advising Seokjin to not help Taehyung at all.

A little instruction from an older sibling was not forbidden. And considering they'd never been in such a situation before—this was more complicated than school bullies—Seokjin knew now that he could at least give his two cents and let Taehyung figure it out for himself.

But he'd explain to Taehyung why what he did was wrong later. As of right now, his brother needed him for comfort, and luckily for the both of them, the stars would be out tonight.

-

Jimin grimaced.

"Well, that was intense."

The 4 of them that had been left in the main room of their headquarters stood awkwardly, glancing at the cameras that showed the now empty infirmary.

They hadn't been spying on Seokjin and Taehyung or anything. Jungkook had simply notified them when the brothers had left the building.

"Guys," Namjoon said, glancing down at his phone. "Hoseok's not picking up his phone."

"He did just verbally get his ass handed to him. Maybe he's not in the mood," Yoongi suggested.

Namjoon slipped his phone back in his pocket, seeming troubled.

"Hey, it'll be fine," Jimin reassured him. "But... this lead. Are we gonna go after it?"

"We have to," Jungkook said. "It's the only lead we've gotten in weeks. Kim Daehyun might know something that can help."

"Tomorrow," Namjoon decided. "After lunch, I'll head over there."

"I'm coming, too," Jungkook volunteered. "I have specific questions about the ring 'n its technology. And if he was the previous Persona, it's not like he would out me as one of your teammates, yeah?"

Namjoon nodded. "Seems fine. Uh, Hoseok... he might not wanna come along. Y'know, considering what Daehyun did to him..."

There was a beat of silence before Yoongi cleared his throat.

"I'll text the groupchat so those three know what's going on," He said, tapping away on his phone. "I don't expect Seokjin and Tae to show up tomorrow. And I got a stupid family event to go to, so..."

Jimin raised his hand. "I got a dentist appointment tomorrow. There's no one to hold down the fort here while you guys are gone."

"That's fine," Namjoon said, waving his hand. "If anything happens, we can handle it. Right, Kook?"

Jungkook nodded. "Yeah! Subunit: Double Trouble will be taking care of this one, team."

Namjoon frowned at him. "...What?"

Jungkook frowned. "Double trouble? Me 'n you, hyung?"

"...We'll work on that."