Chapter III

Florida was one hot state, especially during the springtime. I felt bad for Altair because every day that he was here he would be at risk of burning. He had nowhere else to go as I didn't either. My aunt or as I called her tia was the only one who lived on the east coast while the rest of my family members resided in other parts of the state or even the world. But this aunt, in particular, I was close with. She was my Godmother. She was there for every special occasion in my life and now this was no different.

I didn't know if I should have even rung the doorbell. Did I make a smart choice? How would she react to Altair? and would she even let him in? Altair was getting fed up with my hesitation that he rang the bell for me. 

"Who is it?" She asked as peeked through her window blinds.

"It's your, favorite niece. Rosalia?" When I finished saying my name she screeched in happiness. She opened the door wide letting me in. She hugged me and jumped up and down while still in the embrace.

"Oh, I have been waiting to see you." She said and then took a glimpse at Altair, pulling me into the house and closing the door on his face. "Do you know him?" 

"Yes tia," I told her shyly. "He is a vampire. You know that right?" My tia said opening the blinds and looking through them. "I don't want him in this house."

"He is with me. We needed a place to stay while we are here."

"What is he to you a boyfriend or something?" I stood standing there answering her every question. She was my Godmother so I had the utmost respect for her especially because this was her home. She was like a second mom when my mom was working or bussy. My Godmother was always protective of me and treated me like I was her own daughter since she couldn't have any of her own. 

"Or something," I told her in all honesty. She looked at me with a stern face.

"Vampires killed your parents. You think I wanna let him in here. You can stay but is going to have to find another place to stay." She told me as she turned around and headed into the kitchen. 

"Tia I think I'm going to find a hotel with him then. I don't want to trouble you with this." Just then my tia placed her water jug on the table in front of her and rolled her eyes. 

"How would I look if I let you get a hotel? Fine, he can come in but I'm going to have my eyes on him." She said to me as I jumped for glee. I opened the front door and there was Altair leaning against the side of the house with one leg up waiting for us to make a decision. 

"She said you can come in or do you need the owner of the house to let you in?" I asked him. He smirked at me and walked right in. I knew what the answer was. My tia had her arms crossed. She stared at him with all her might thinking Altair might break down and cry from her glare. 

"Thank you for letting us stay here," Altair told her.

"Thank Lia she is the one who persuaded me." Was all she said to him as she went back into the kitchen and poured us three glasses of water. We went into her cozy living room and sat there. Her eyes were on Altair as she handed him water. 

"Um, I can't," Altair told her.

"Even if you can't drink it you accept it. That's manners." My tia explained as she handed me my water. I felt bad for Altair but he seemed to be handling her toughness or others might have taken it, rudeness. Altair stood sitting there like a young teenage boy with angst building up in him but unlike a teenage boy, he stood shut. The disdain in his eyes grew every minute she spoke. 

"tia I wanted to thank you again. I'm sorry I just appeared out of the blue. I really am sorry." I told her to get her attention off of Altair. 

"You know you are welcome here anytime. It's okay. Next time I would like a call though so I could clean up around here." She told me as she moved some old newspapers and worksheets that were on the coffee table onto the ground so that we could place our waters. My tia was a teacher for sixth graders and I assumed that is why she had such an attitude. What twelve-year-old wants to listen to an older person?