chapter sixteen

after that night, she'd gone home by bicycle with a promise to cam that he'd come by two hours after amalie had left. she was demanded to take a long shower and do some laundry and whatever else she might need to do before cam came. the week that glen was gone would soon come to a close, and she felt stressed with his return.

from then on, they were always together. always keeping their minds off things. but nothing else more intimate happened, besides cam asking if he could see the hickeys he'd marked on her. and of course, short but sweet kisses here and there.

but now, glen was to come back home from milan in five hours--just after dinner.

amalie had decided to do some poking around the house, there were plenty rooms she hadn't seen yet. this included glen's office;

"all i ask is that you please don't go in here,"  he'd stated during the initial house tour. "it's just my office, but please. ask me first before you rummage through."

and to think, the entire time amalie's adventurous self respected that.

there were no locks on anything in the house, and with no surprise there was no lock on his office door either. so she walked inside, still feeling the need to tiptoe though all alone.

cam and amalie had come up with the idea the night before. if she just took a quick look around his stuff, was there anything mysterious that would make sense?

the room was nothing spectacular. though, that was a very underestimating statement because the entire house was decked out in paintings, sculptures, and other random valuables. the walls were dull except for a brown framed certificate. they were painted a pale yellow. there were two windows, and a large oak desk. in the corner of the room was a new red couch--he'd ordered it online and it was delivered just days before the departure. so he decided to at least build it and he'd figure out a good spot to place it when he returned.

she opened all of the desk drawers on the left side, three of them being empty and the bottom one filled with random papers that didn't interest her. she moved to the right side, the top drawer full of pens, pencils, paperclips, sticky notes, and erasers. when opening the second drawer, her eyes widened in shock. orange prescription bottles upon orange prescription bottles were scattered around, she read a few of the names. some were full, some were half-empty. she was petrified all the same.

clozapine, percocet, oxycodone, fentanyl...

she rifled past them, uncovering a tinfoil package and a singular sock full of heroin needles?

she shuffled them to the side and pawed at the back of the same drawer. a spherical object brushed under her palm, she grabbed it and as if her eyes couldn't have gone any wider. it was a white powder packed into a snowball, wrapped in plastic. (lol i'm thinking something out of of shameless when frank goes to mexico iykyk)

cocaine?

amalie heard footsteps near the door, filling her with alarm. she quietly placed the snowball where she found it, sliding the desk drawer shut soundlessly.

a familiar voice sent her into a raging panic. she looked around the room in a frenzy.

thinking quickly, she dove behind the sofa and curled into a ball. the door swung open just a second after her rapid thinking. her hands were firmly grasped over her nose and mouth.

unknowing yet to amalie, being forced to stay in such a precarious position would be worth all the while to hear what she desperately needed to know.

"can you hear me now, adeline?" glen's voice grew louder as he shuffled into the room. he was home early.

"yeah, i'm in the office now."