Twenty Five - Wings

It was time.
The time Eddie knew would come sooner or later. The time he had tried to postpone but could not. He had to say goodbye to the only person that he felt cared about him, to the only person that he felt happy with.
But this time he didn't feel sad.... And he wasn't alone.
Eddie had realised maybe he was never really alone. He thought his world revolved around Richie and without him he'd be spinning into the darkness of space, but instead Eddie had five other smaller planets he could orbit. He just hadn't noticed them till now, the night sky must've been to dark. His mind must've been too dark.

Eddie knew he could rely on Bill, Beverly, Mike, Stanley and Ben. They'd risked so much for him even though there was a high chance it was for nothing. Without them, Richie wouldn't have forgiven him.

Without them, Eddie would feel hopeless.

They risked everything for him. They were special to him, they had nothing to loose, just like him. Like Richie had said many days ago, 'Losers have nothing to loose.' They were all Eddie's losers and he knew he'd keep them dear in his heart.

"Are you ready?" Eddie whispered looking over at Richie, who still looked astounded.

"You- you seriously did this for me, Ed's?.. but I thought-,"

"I thought I wanted you to stay, but by stopping you from spreading your wings I passed my sadness onto you... I have realised my fear of being alone only caused me to isolate myself more... I guess what I'm trying to say is, If your happy Richie, then I'm happy."

Richie felt happy tears filling his eyes. It wasn't because Eddie had finally made up for his mistakes but it was because Eddie finally admitted out loud that he was happy.

All Richie had ever wanted was for Eddie to be happy.

Eddie deserved all the happiness in the world and he'd finally found it, inside of himself.

Connor still sat dazed in Eddie's desk chair. The living Losers club watched him nervously, hoping that what they had just done wasn't for nothing.

There was so much tension in the room, so much energy.

Eddie was finally going to say goodbye to Richie. Richie was leaving for real this time.

Richie looked at Connor and then back at Eddie. A comfortable look on his tired face,
"Eddie are you sure you're okay with me going?"

"Richie. This is your destiny. Who was I to try and keep you from it?... I was so stupid to think that you were 'leaving' me, just because you're not physically with me doesn't mean your love isn't... I will miss you. So. Fucking. Much... but like you said last time. This isn't goodbye... it's just...," Eddie had to pause, as tears began building in his eyes too. His voice kept breaking as his words spilled out, "it's just a... see you later alligator."

A silver tear trickled down from behind Richie's glasses, dancing down his lush peach cheeks like a minuscule waterfall.

The lanky boy stepped forwards and engulfed the small boy in a hug. The tightest, warmest hug Eddie had ever felt. He felt safe. He felt loved.

Richie pulled away slightly. He had so much he wanted to say to Eddie, but he wasn't good with words, he had one gesture he knew would combine everything he wanted to say...
Richie leaned down and pressed his lips against Eddie's.

Richie's kiss stole the words Eddie didn't need to say. In that silence all of the boys secrets were laid bare, all of their passions and the spark of love that existed between them. In that moment, in their love, Eddie was strong. One kiss and the small boy had the courage to do what had to be done.
He had to let Richie go.