7. Lunch with the Boys

The news of Aiden's "defeat" spread around, and Jun suddenly found herself surrounded by more friends. The dark-haired ranger tried to mitigate the rumors as much as possible, but the truth had trouble getting through. Still, Jun had no problem chatting and joking around with them.

Today, another familiar face approached the group. They all fell silent.

"Ey, JK." Aiden waved to Jun. He took an empty seat at the table despite--or in spite of-- the others nervously glancing between each other and him. Brandon looked especially skittish. Unfortunately for him, Aiden took the seat on his right.

"Heeeey, Kelly!" Jun greeted. "Fancy seeing you here! Make yourself at home."

He looked around at the others, smirking. "...'Sup?"

A few quiet 'hello's and 'hi's followed.

"So you guys heard about Jun beating me up?"

Worried glances followed.

"I never told them that!" Even Jun was a little concerned of what might happen next.

Aiden snickered, looking around the table. "You really think I could get taken down by that guy?"

The rookie meekly smiled and shrugged.

"He's alright. Puts up a good fight." He scratched his beard. "Maybe he could take me out if he actually threw a punch, but don't go around thinkin' he's some kind of macho warrior man."

"I'm not that kinda guy."

"I know." Aiden smiled. "If you were, you definitely coulda taken down that one loser." He pointed at Matthew. "You remember."

"Y-Yeah." Matthew hesitated. "I remember! But honestly I thought Jun was as good as dead." He chuckled.

"Naaaah." denied Jun. "He wouldn't've done anything. I was just gonna let him have his temper tantrum."

"I didn't!" A proud grin crossed Aiden's face.

Matthew and Jun laughed, but the latter noticed the rest of the table still seemed on edge.

"Hey guys, lighten up!" the rookie reassured. "Aiden's not gonna, like, bite you or anything... I think?"

"Pffff! Don't go making any promises." He warned. "But I'm in a good mood today."

"Please." Jun's eyes rolled. "You're not the type-a guy to go around randomly smashing dudes' heads in."

Visible apprehension showed on Brandon's face.

"Not if they don't deserve it." Aiden added on.

"See?" the dark-haired ranger looked around the table. "You guys are chill, you should all be fine."

Slowly, but surely, the group's fears began to melt away. They continue talking as usual, with Aiden joining in. By the end of the lunch break, he fit into the group. As they parted ways, he called Jun over.

"Was one of those guys from Eric's crew?" he asked.

"Yeah."

Aiden laughed. "I could tell by the look on his face when he saw me. Looked like he was about to have a heart attack!"

"He's actually pretty chill. Hasn't hung out with him for a while since... that one incident." Jun explained. "Told me he had some reasons for leaving."

"Ahhh." He scratched his beard. "If you say he's cool, I ain't gonna bother him."

The dark-haired ranger chuckled. "I'm sure he'd appreciate that."

Jun thought Aiden's visit would be a one-time thing, but from then on, he joined the group at lunch every so often. He livened up the table in his own special way. It was nice having him around!