Chapter 5

"Did the client wired the money?" the woman asked, polluting the garden with her cigar.

The man showed her the address of the port. "We're good to go."

He carried the bag inside the trunk of the car as the woman hopped on in. His fingers trailed over, checking the quality of their delivery before starting the engine.

"Let's go sweetie," she told the man with a beaming smile, she recalled the look on their faces. "Those officers sure were easily fooled just like last time."

Back in the station, Officer Gonzales was looking up the suspects data base.

"Franchesca and Billy Shelton moved to Brooklyn five months ago," she said on the phone.

"Look up all the missing cases of children after they've moved in," Atarah ordered.

They arrived in the house only to find that the garage was opened and the front door locked. Cole motioned her to step aside as he leaned in to kick the door. With his right heel driving into it, the door swung open revealing only the furnace that was left out to burn. It wasn't too long before reinforcements arrived. The detective clenched his fist. They could've saved that kids life a few minutes ago. How could he had not sensed something was wrong? However, it wasn't too late.

"Officer, can you track their cars plate number?" he requested.

Samantha searched the CCTV cameras on the main roads and found the green CUV, driving in Atlantic Avenue. She told the detective about the location of the vehicle. The lieutenant listened to the information shed given.

"The port," she uttered. "The couple must've been involved with selling children overseas."

"Officer Millard and I will go check the nearest port there," Cole suggested as both of them headed to the car.

She agreed. "I'll stay and look for clues."

The two men headed over to Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier. The next ship was leaving at ten minutes. Cole tightened his grip, he got into high gear on the road.

"Watch the road man!" Officer Millard exclaimed as their car was close to being hit by a moving truck.

He felt himself racing again with time. Things have changed since that tragedy. No, he wasn't gonna lose this time.

The little boys constant sobbing irritated the impatient woman. She removed the towel tied on his mouth and grabbed his cheeks.

"Shut your mouth if you don't want me to cut that tongue of yours," she threatened. Her sharp nails dug into his skin which caused the boy to yelp in pain.

"Let's just leave him here!"she demanded.

"C'mon sweetie, on with that short temper of yours. We still need to settle the package," he reminded.

They both arrived on the port. The police men searched the parked cars in the area.

"Officer Gonzales, a little help?" implored the officer.

"Pier six," she replied. "They must've put the boy inside a bag."

"Got it," Detective Cole rushed past the stacked cargoes with Officer Millard tailing him. They saw the couple waiting for the white ship to sail off. They were about to take them on by surprise when Franchesca caught them in the act.

"Shoot!" she bolted.

"Take the boy with you. I'll take care of them," Billy said as he reached out for his pistol.

"She's getting away, detective!" Officer Millard pointed at the woman.

"Go after her. I'll take on the man," he replied.

The man smirked as both of them pointed their guns at each other. Shots were heard. As one pulled the trigger the other one dodged by seeking cover with one of the ship cargoes. At last one bullet blasted in the air, hitting Billy's right arm. He lost hold of his gun. He yanked as the bullet dug deep in his flesh. Blood dripped on the ground as Cole carefully shortened the distance between them, still aiming his gun. He grabbed both his hands and pinned him, his face touching the ground.

"Billy Shelton, you're under arrest for child abuse and kidnapping," he said.

On the other hand, Franchesca reached her limit after a wild chase with the officer. She dropped the bag on the floor and paused to catch her breath.

"Hold it right there maam!" Officer Millard huffed.

She turned to the officer and revealed the Swiss knife tugged inside her jacket. She swung it in the air trying to scare off the man.

"Stay away from me!" she threatened."I-I've g-got a knife!"

"Look maam, I hit on girls but I don't exactly like to hit them," the officer said in a calm voice. He could already feel the woman panicking as the fear was filling her up.

She shook her head and lunged forward, assaulting the officer with the sharp object. He avoided the attack then punched the lady on her face, knocking her unconscious. He placed handcuffs on her hands and requested the rescue team in the area.

"Dang it," he said with a dismayed look. Recalling what he did made him feel less than the gentleman that he is.

"I should've just slapped her, right?" he asked Cole with guilt on his face.

"Whatever," he didn't want to listen to his complaints and instead drove back to the house.