Chapter 15

She let her body get swallowed by the cottony floral mattress. Not even a minute had past when her alarm startlingly went off. She grunted, her lazy arms stretched for her phone. Atarah frowned. She'd just gone from the office, taken a hot shower, ate a slice of Granny Smith pie and by the time she finished, it was already six a.m. - a new day and she hadn't rested a single muscle.

Her eyes studied the room. The boxes reminded her of how long she'd been in the city and still procrastinated in the simple of job of moving the cartons. The sun splattered streaks of yellow onto her bedroom walls and the lace of blueish white clouds added highlights on the sky. The chirping pigeons and honking cars created a seemingly odd orchestra. The scenery brought awe to Atarah. How she'd wish she could spend time on the balcony and watch the morning sun greet her face while enjoying hot steaming espresso.

Soon, a voice popped in her head. After you reach the end of this mystery.
She got out of the grasps of her bed, picking up her spirit that was at the verge of giving up a few seconds ago, "Let's go." She stride to her car, starting the ignition.

~ ⚜️ ~

She reached the anterior part of the city hall bounded by two six foot seven men in black, she presumed to be Mr. Ronald's guards.

Dark lumpy clouds soon covered the blue sky earlier that poured heavy rain. The mayor was making a public announcement. It was connected to the emergency meeting the NYPD had - one which Atarah had to give up the importance of slumber.

Mr. Ronald who was barely firm on his ground, stood in between two wide television screens. The place was surrounded by cameras, all sides, broadcasting the whole speech he was about to give out.

"Lieutenant Camembert," Detective Carter eyed his team captain, clasping a hand on her mouth to hide her sleepy yawning. He called her attention over the reserved seats. "In here."

"Want me to give you another bottle of iced coffee?" he jokingly said to brighten up the girl's puffy eyebags.

The microphone shrilled. The mayor's booming voice radiated inside the halls but soon adjusted to the ears of guests: reporters, the police, renowned people, and honorable government officials.

"Everyone, I have received terrible news last night," the man's lips quivered. "A text from an unknown receiver and then...followed by a picture, of my wife......dead."

Then came shocked gasps and murmurs from the public.

A gush of uncontrollable tears strolled down his eyes. His voice, becoming more and more shaky, "My beloved Cathy, she had become another victim of the -."

Before he could finish his sentence, the room went dark. There was nothing, only the subtle pouring of rain outside the building. Some remained calm on their chairs and waited for the power to turn back on, others were just standing plain in confusion.

"Jones, hurry up and fix this mess," the mayor quietly shouted at his employees.

The operators went back to check the system but it was useless. The breaker won't budge. Then, it was as if on its own, the screens turned into blinding lights. The crowd went scattering like like chickens on a farm being chased, except not by poultry farmer but an invisible fear of what was going to happen next. The cops stationed at every corner of the room, ready once a threat sprung out of nowhere.

"Everyone calm down," Officer Gonzales tried to settle down the arousing panic, however, her voice was drowned by waves of people rushing to the exits.

The lights soon turned dim, and the TV made sounds, that of a pen turning on and off repetitively, moving voluntarily, followed by images - ones that were send to the mayor. The woman, Cathy, wore a white nightgown with ends torn and covered with gunk. She had multiple bruises: one on her head, another on the mouth swollen from an ill beating and both hands and ankle tied with a hemp rope about seven mm thick. Just like the previous victims, she had slashes on her chest, guts and crimson liquid bathed her lower area. It was an immoral sight that no human being should ever endure, an inhumane act - it was the work of the devil.

A hoarse voice became audible. His tone was so deep, Cole thought it could pierce through your soul. "Congratulations on your work officers. I'll let you be entertained by a game of hide and seek. Tik. tok. Time is running." Once again, the rectangular device roared before everything turned back to normal, except for the people. The only ones left were the staffs, the force, and Mr. Ronald.

Few seconds later, security escorted the mayor away from the area. Everyone else were running on their shoes,  everyone but Atarah. She remained her poise, standing as each person sped by her in a blur.

He'd kidnap the wife of the mayor - the person who had complete control over the city, and even dared sabotage his speech despite of it being safeguarded.

He was showing them his cards and they have none to counter it. He dared mock the supremacy of the government. A battle of who reigns king. A game of chess in which the white was always on the move. Now she knew who they were dealing with, and the power in his possession.