Chapter 14

She slammed her palms on the long table to gather the attention of rows of officers sat together for their monthly crime report. Sitting at the centre chair was the chief who gave out austere looks at the promising lieutenant. It was maybe due to the fact that his daughter was right all along.

"Everyone," she clicked the enter button on her laptop, showing the projected picture.

The first one was the body of the dead man, the substance mixed with dirt, and lastly, the crumpled note.

"So we're dealing with the undead now?" A police captain snorted.

"Someone who assumes that he or she could," corrected Cole.

"And the motive?"

There was a brief pause, "We are not sure yet."

Considering the victims did not have anything in common, his kills were just random. That truth of the matter was making Atarah go berserk. It was like they were solving a jigsaw puzzle where the Grim Reaper was constantly throwing pieces of it without them even knowing the whole picture.

"Warn the public about the situation," Chief Camembert commanded. "This is all for today."

"Team Captain!"

She turned her back to see her fellow member walking towards her. Cole was taking fast pace steps, swinging the blue folders with him on his right hand. When he finally reached an end point, Atarah noticed they were the same papers she'd distributed from her presentation earlier.

"This might not be of any help but I think the murder weapons are of one thing, " he skimmed through the report papers and pointed at the line of chests, skins ripped apart at the center. "The underworld, Grim Reaper, the marks...."

"Uh, yeah?" She urged him to keep going.

"I think the murder weapon is a scythe," he finished his sentence.

"Yes, it does make sense. But what does it help for us to catch whoever it is?" She asked. "Should we track every single purchase of scythes here in NYC?"

"That's why I told you that this may not be of any help," he rolled out his eyes. It was then that he'd notice that a woman with grayish blonde hair stood there all the time as they had their short conversation. She made out a blissful smile from the satisfaction of being able to be noticed by the two after a two minutes of doing nothing but to stand at their presence.

"Hello officers! I'm Cindy Corps from Good Morning NYC," she cheered.

"Oh look lieutenant, it's your friend from before," Cole said, remembering her from the Sheldon incident. "I'll head over to the cafeteria now."

"Actually, I also want to have an interview with you detective," she cut off his tracks but his body was persistent to move along. One thing he hated the most were reporters and their cameras, always snooping around.

"You're not getting anything from me," he murmured before walking away.

"What's his deal with reporters?" Atarah was about to told him off by being rude but she didn't want to delay her guest much further. "What is it you wanted to talk about Ms. Corps?"

"You can call me Cindy," she placed the recorder beneath the girl's chin. "Lieutenant Camembert, is it true that a serial killer is responsible for the murder of a deputy chief and another man one year ago?"

"Unfortunately, yes," she frowned. "The police found a note stuck inside the man's throat in which we believe is from the killer, he calls himself: The Grim Reaper."