Chapter 8

She held onto the stone that was hanging on her neck. Malory opened the television munching on some Doritos.

"Atarah, it's you!" she said as her sisters face popped on the screen.

She gazed at her sister who was munching on the couch. She head inside after taking in the crisp air outside the balcony. The night lights of New York was a pleasing sight to be seen.

The next day, work went on normally. A few officers were seen outside, patrolling at 8 am in the morning.

"Feeling better now, captain?" Officer Gonzales asked.

"Don't worry, I've gotten plenty of sleep last night," she jokingly replied.

Atarah looked at Detective Carter who was typing on his desk. Their eyes met for a moment but that was it. She didn't want to mention anything about what he saw her did yesterday and he hesitated if he should ask her about it.

"Guys, I've got great news!" Hopkins walked into the room. It seemed that his ill-mannered attitude was nowhere to be seen. "The chief gave us money for solving the case yesterday. Know what this means?"

"Team dinner!" Officer Gonzales and Millard said excitingly.

After the days work, the team tidied up their belongings. Khen already booked them up at a local Korean restaurant nearby. Detective Hopkins got the car ready while the officers exchanged looks as to who will invite the team captain and the detective who remained on his seat to go on a late night work again.

"Aren't you coming, Lieutenant Camembert?" Sam asked.

"I think I'll head over to my apartment," she replied.

"But you were the one who did most of the work," Khen said with a dismayed look. "Plus Detective Carter."

She hesitated at first but soon gave in. Might as well be a friendly team captain to her members. "On second thought, I was also craving for some pork belly," she smiled.

"Wait!"

The three of them turned back to Cole who stood up from his chair. He looked at the ground trying to Gulp on his pride.

"C-can I come to?"

~ ⚜️ ~

"Wow! You really make the best samgyeopsal around here Uncle Jung," complimented Officer Millard as he munched on the pork with some lettuce.

"Is he your family?" the lieutenant asked.

"Biologically speaking, no," he replied. "But he had been a family after I joined the force. You know what I mean?"

Khen was an only child in their family. Both his parents were call center agents so hed spent most of his time with Jung-il, their neighbor. His parents did not support his decision of joining the police and wanted him to start a career as a model. Jung-il would often give him take out foods while he was on training. Though he was not his father by blood, he became his father by heart.

The officer's story reached out to her heart. "I think I understood completely," she answered.

They spent most of the night grilling pork and drinking bottles of soju. Detective Hopkins went home early since his wife was nagging him on the phone. Officer Gonzales was already lying on the wooden table, having her hiccups from too much rice wine.

"One more..hick..glass.please..hick!" she cried out.

I think I should take her back to her home, Officer Millard hanged her right arm on his neck, assisting the officer on their way out. See you tomorrow, Lieutenant Camembert, Detective Carter!