Chapter 6

Back at the cabin, detectives and reporters were looking at the crime scene. A reporter approached Lieutenant Camembert who was still checking the area.

"I'm Cindy Corps from Good Morning NYC," she shook hands with Atarah. "The SSO already caught the suspects. Have you got any leads that they are also involved with the disappearance of other children?"

"The forensics found bottles of Rohypnol inside the kitchen cabinets," she replied. "We're looking into that in the moment."

The reporter sensed that she was clearly in the middle of something. She thanked the lieutenant and went out of the house.

"What was that?" the cameraman questioned. "You should've asked some more."

"We can do that in the press con, Luke," she replied. "They should focus on the case first."

"Lieutenant Camembert, I looked up the missing cases in New York," Sam inferred."Ten of the cases were from Brooklyn. One of the children was the kid I saw last week. They really are involved in kidnapping."

"Well done officer,"she thanked her.

However, her question was still not answered. If the kid didn't had any eyes then they should've had a place like an operating room but where? The roof is too high just for a house to have only one floor. That's when she saw him again - the boy. He was holding his plushy. He turned around and passed through one of the doors like it was just a lump of cloud.

"Lieutenant!" Cole tried to get her attention.

"Wait!" Atarah opened the door that led to a small room filled with piled boxes.

There wasn't someone inside except the two of them. He looked at her who was staring at the plain wall. The wall was nothing special or was she seeing something else?

The boy disappeared through the wall, leaving his teddy behind. The bear - she could reach out to it that was on the ground. The cotton inside was already falling out and its left eye button was missing.

"Detective, look at this," she made a knock on the wall.

It made a light hollow sound, different than the other parts of the house. He grabbed an axe from the garage and chopped the barrier of wood revealing a hidden ladder. Cole armed himself with a gun.

"I'll go first," he volunteered.

The light from his phone stabbed the darkness. They made their way carefully, keeping a low profile as to what lies ahead. Atarah saw the switch and turned it on. That was when they revealed the couples horrifying secret.

Hidden above the cozy cottage was a metal table covered with blood, shipment records, medical apparatus and large gear bags. There were noises coming from a wooden closet beside the bags. He opened the locks to discover two kindergartners covered with scars and bruises, crying in fear. Cole pressed them tightly in his arms.

"Everything's going to be fine now," he comforted the children. "Detective Hopkins, we've found two children needing medical assistance in the second floor plus evidence against the Shelton's."

The children were sent to the hospital. Some of them were already sent out but the others were left to rot inside the bags.

"Wait a minute," Atarah saw a familiar face among the corpses. It was the ginger boy who helped her solve the case. She took a last look at the teddy bear before handing it over to the forensics. "This belongs to that boy."

His curiosity about the girl grew even more. He was about to ask her about it when she went to approach their other members.

"Let's call it a day," she said weakly.

The lieutenant went inside her car with a dazed look. He stopped himself from asking after seeing her still feeble after the case.

What are you hiding, Atarah?