Chapter Five - Lothlorien

The sun shone brightly as the Fellowship emerged from the mine. Legolas gently placed Adriel down on a flat rock, his eyes full of concern. He looked her over head to toe, Adriel's chest heaved as she stared blankly ahead. She couldn't comprehend losing Gandalf. The wizard had been around for as long as she could remember, he had taught her nearly everything she knew of her Witch blood. Adriel continued to stare ahead, her eyebrows scrunched together as she struggled to recall exactly what had just happened. She forced her thoughts to shift to the well being of the rest of the Fellowship, Adriel quickly wiped her eyes dry of a few stray tears and stood up from the rock. Avoiding looking at Legolas to save herself the embarrassment of breaking down in front of him. Legolas wrapped his arms around Adriel's shorter frame firmly, pulling her into him, resting his chin on top of her head. He held her close to him, his grip not faltering in the slightest. Adriel froze at his sudden affection, Elves weren't particularly fond of such gestures. She leaned further into him, his touch bringing her comfort she didn't know she needed. A second wave of fresh tears welled up in Adriel's golden eyes, she let out a shaky breath before burying her face in the Elf's chest and wrapping her arms tightly around his torso.

"I've never known a world without him," Adriel whispered as she slowly let go of Legolas, his arms lingering around her. She looked up to the Woodland Prince. Grief was evident in his deep blue eyes, an absent look glazed over his face. Dirt was smudged across his forehead and his blonde hair had started to slip from its braids. Adriel inhaled slowly to try and clear some of the haziness from her mind, she reached out and gently squeezed his hand and offered him a weak smile which he tried to return. The sound of soft crying could be heard from the Hobbits, Adriel's heart ached at their sadness.

"Legolas, Adriel, get them up," Aragorn ordered as he wiped his sword clean. Legolas slowly turned towards Sam, a dazed look still on his face. Adriel walked towards where Merry and Pippin were laying on the rocks, Merry trying desperately to comfort a sobbing Pippin.

"Oh give them a moment for pity's sake," Boromir cried out as he turned away from Gimli who looked devastated and towards the Ranger. Adriel crouched down and grabbed Pippin's shoulder, both the Hobbits hastily scurried upwards and wrapped their small arms around her neck tightly in a near bone crushing hug. She hugged the halflings back firmly before standing and facing Boromir, keeping one arm around Merry and one arm around Pippin.

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs," Adriel responded in a monotone voice. Despite the deep aching in her heart she knew that Gandalf would scold her for wasting time, a sad smile broke onto her face at the thought of the wizard chiding her.

"Adriel is right, we must reach the woods of Lothlorien," Aragorn spoke as he sheathed his sword, "Come Boromir, Legolas. Gimli get them up," he ordered. Adriel started to walk behind the Ranger, both Merry and Pippin clinging to her sides.

"It will be okay," Adriel promised as she ruffled their hair and continued to follow Aragorn, but even she had a hard time believing herself.

The woods of Lothlorien felt safe.

Adriel took a deep breath as the Fellowship slowed their pace and began walking through the tall trees. Her ribs ached painfully with every step she took, she grumbled a few curses under her breath as she slowed her pace even more. The Witch fell to the back of the group just behind Gimli, Merry, and Pippin. The evening sun's rays cut through the thick green canopy of leaves and cascaded down onto the forest floor, creating golden streams through the air. Old memories of her mother teaching her how to identify plants throughout the forest and Haldir teaching her to wield a sword thoroughly distracted Adriel from the pinching pain in her ribs as she followed after the rest of the Fellowship.