Chapter 24: Surprise Dinner

When I step into Hero's place, I immediately know something's different. There's fresh flowers in the vase in the middle of his foyer and the delicious smell of something roasted mixed with the sweet smell of cookies invade my nostrils. Hero doesn't bake, well at least I didn't know he could. And he never has fresh flowers in this penthouse. And... he said he's coming home late tonight. What the heck is going on?

With my heart racing and my purse clutched to my chest defensively, I tiptoe into the living space as quietly as my damn heels would allow. Please don't be an intruder.

Right, cause intruders would be cooking dinner and baking dessert and putting up fresh flowers, Josephine.

My temper flares at the realization that this could be a doing by one of Hero's many previous flings. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case actually. I could already picture someone with the likeness to Kelsey, cooking a surprise dinner for Hero inside the kitchen with only some slutty lingerie covering her body. I'm not a violent person but I swear to god if that would be that case now, she better hope there isn't a knife in sight because I will fucking kill-

"Josephine?" Martha gasps in surprise when I turn the corner towards the kitchen just as she closes the fridge and comes face to face with me.

Okay, so it isn't some slut Hero's bedded but, in fact, his mother. The mother of the guy I left waiting at the altar. Perfect. What could possibly go wrong? Uhm, just possibly a million. Fuck!

"Martha, hi," I nervously fidget the strap of my purse, letting it fall from being clutched to my chest.

What the fuck am I supposed to say to her? Why the hell didn't Hero mention his mother was coming over tonight? We stand there, rooted to our spots as we both seem to be wracking our own brains for something to say. Oh god, this is so fucking awkward.

Martha recovers from her initial shock first and surprises me yet again as she gracefully glides towards my immobile self and encases me into a surprisingly warm hug. What the-this isn't how I pictured my reunion with Hero's parents would go down; not this warm, no. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect if and when we meet. Maybe throw some horrible words at me for running away from our wedding? Maybe curse to burn in hell? Maybe both?

"Oh Josephine, darling, I am so happy to see you again. It's been so long. How have you been? How are you here in Hero's place? This is such a pleasant surprise. Goerge is going to be so thrilled to see you tonight over dinner," she gushes, pushing me back gently by my arms and looking me up and down, her eyes glinting with so much joy that my throat instinctively closes in on itself.

After everything I've done to their son, how can they be this happy to know I'm back in Hero's life?

Wait, did she just ask me why I'm here in Hero's penthouse? So that just means... he hasn't told them about us getting back together.

"I... I'm a-actually... I-I mean..." I stutter, my brain has yet decided to go back to working and I am lost for words. What am I supposed to say to her? We've been standing here, talking for over a few minutes and I've probably asked myself this question over a dozen times.

"It's alright, Jo. We can talk over dinner. I've been cooking," she chirps in an awfully upbeat spirit. "Hero doesn't actually know I was coming over but George and I decided to visit and I am so glad we did," she whispers conspiratorially this time like she's telling me a secret no one should know and I fight myself from giggling. "Go ahead and change for dinner. George and Hero will join us in an hour." She ushers me out of the kitchen but I stay glued to my spot.

"I could help... if you'd like?" I offer, my voice laced with uncertainty but I sigh in relief when her face lights up at my words.

"Of course, Josephine. Come, I'm just preparing some chilled strawberries and flutes for the rosé. You can help me cut the vegetables for the salad."