Chapter 48: August 17

August 16

My stomach drops at Hero's unexpected news. He has to leave for work. Seriously? And of all the days, it just has to be on my fucking birthday? On my birthday that I already planned a surprise for him. Lovely.

"But-," I start to pout in protest but manage to stop myself. Oh Josephine, don't be the sad and clingy girlfriend. "You'll be back in time for my birthday though?" I ask, trying so hard not to let my disappointment show.

"Of course, love. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. I just have to fix something in Berlin. Won't take me long, I'll make sure of it and then I'm all yours through the weekend. How does that sound?" he says and although his tone is sweet and sincere, I can't help but notice how distracted he is as he packs an overnight bag.

I'm leaning against the door jamb, watching him with a heavy heart. We literally just got here last night and now he's leaving me for Germany. Granted that it's an important meeting and by the sound of his phone conversation earlier, it requires his urgent attention, my birthday tomorrow is supposed to be special. Thank god I didn't agree on that Paris trip he proposed. I'd rather mope around here at the manor than stay in a hotel room in Paris the entire time while waiting for Hero to return so we can continue our celebration. To top it all off, our parents have gone to Rome which means I will be all on my own tonight and the most of tomorrow.

My mind drifts off to my planned surprise for Hero tomorrow. He better be home before it gets dark or else I'm never talking to him for the rest of the week.

Yeah, real mature, Jo.

"Yeah, it's okay, babe. Just hurry back to me, alright?" I smile while walking over and wrapping my arms around his waist from behind him, burying my face against his hard back and inhaling his freshly showered masculine scent.

"I'm always with you even if we're apart, love." I could hear the smirk in his voice, making me roll my eyes despite his romantic words and the butterflies fluttering in my gut.

Instead of answering him, I just tighten my arms around him, squeezing him to me. Maybe it's good that he's not going to be all over me tomorrow. I'll definitely have more time to prepare for my surprise. I'm gonna have to talk to Gus for his help. I'm gonna need a couple pairs of hands for what I have planned in mind. Yeah, now I'm feeling a lot better with him going to Berlin overnight.

August 17

I can't help the huge grin on my face as I proudly stare at our handiwork. Gus and some other housestaff are standing right beside me, admiring what we've done to the place.

The sky is relatively clear today and I made sure to check the weather forecast which says it'll be dry in London until tomorrow afternoon so that's good. I definitely don't want to be camping out under the rain and near the waterfalls and stream at that. This is not going to be a repeat of what happened sixteen years ago.

There's a midday glow to the clearing, the sunbeams streaming down in between the gaps in the leaves of the tall trees that canopies over it. The birds chirping around us and the gushing sounds of the water coming down from the falls and flowing through the stream is like music to my ears. The butterflies going about their business from one wildflower to the next that surrounds the area adds to the overall romance and enchantment.

We've set up a large camping tent that has an air mattress, fluffy pillows and lots of comforters and blankets for when it gets chilly tonight. There's a small outdoor round table with a matching pair of chairs that we took from the back porch of the manor. Candles and freshly picked wildflowers adorn the table which will be filled with wine and a simple feast for the two of us later. Fairy lights hang about inside the tent which will cast a soft glow to the otherwise dark clearing tonight. A bag containing some change of clothes lay on the floor of the tent.