Chapter 44: Do Me A Favor?

I thought that flight I took from Heathrow to JFK a few months ago with a heartbroken Katherine was hell, but nothing ever prepared me for this painfully tensed flight which stretches on for what feels like an eternity. Katherine's mood swings are giving me a whiplash and I'm actually a little bit scared she might start to really lose it. She's calm and composed one moment but the next, she's inconsolably crying and as if that's not enough, she would beat herself up for letting him talk her into leaving him in London while she joins us in New York. She's a complete mess-her long brown hair tangled and unruly, her face the palest I've ever seen her except for the redness and puffiness on her eyes and nose.

Our efforts to assure her that everything is going to be fine and that Felix is in more than capable hands of the top surgeons in UK still doesn't seem to get through to her no matter what. So instead of verbal assurances, I zip my mouth shut and lend her both of my shoulders to cry on as my hand rubs her back soothingly.

No one in this jet dozes off. I mean, how could we in this situation? I try not to dwell on the fact that I could've lost Hero, not wanting to be selfish so I can give all my attention and support to Kath who needs it the most. Don't be selfish now, Josephine. He's alive and well as what he told me from our quick phone call and that's all that matters to me. Whereas my best friend's husband who also happens to be my fiancé's best friend is fighting for his life.

When we arrive at Heathrow, James is already waiting for us at the tarmac along with the Tiffin's chauffeur. As we step outside the jet, Katherine receives a call from Hero informing her that Felix's operation was a success, as well as Blake's. They are both in the recovery room before they'll be roomed into their individual private hospital suites. Her knees buckle and thank god George has quick reflexes as he catches her before she falls and tumbles down the stairs of the jet. We can't afford another injury today.

Katherine and I get into Hero's car with James while mum, dad and Martha and George all get into a Range Rover. Even with the positive news about Felix's successful operation, Kath continues to fidget throughout our journey, biting her nails until I see some blood or twisting her fingers together in anxiety. Despite that, I'm still incredibly relieved to know both Felix and Blake are now out of eminent danger and Katherine-although still a wreck-has now shown a bit of color to her cheeks.

My heart goes out to her. They're supposed to be exploring one of Kath's favorite countries right now-Japan-and yet here we are, bursting through the doors of the hospital and demanding where the fucking recovery room is. I can't imagine how our lot looks like to the hospital staff but guessing by the looks from those in the information, it's not very pleasant. As soon as we're told where it is, we immediately weave through the floors and white halls until we see Hero and Gareth slumped on a long couch, along with Felix's parents and I'm guessing the rest of the Lancasters I don't recognize.

Hero lifts his head up from what looks like studying the floor and sees us rushing to his side. I tackle him on the couch and bury my face in his neck. I can't describe the relief I feel right now, seeing for myself that he's actually safe and unharmed. Sobs wrack my body as I continue to cling to him for dear life. I can't believe I almost lost him and to what? To the fucking fight club? To the monster Christopher?

"Hero..." is all I manage to choke through my cries. I'm a fucking mess, I know that but I don't even care.

"Hey, I'm alright. You don't have to cry, baby, please," he pleads, gently pushing me off him enough so he can look me in the eyes.

"I almost lost you. Hero..." I am lost for words. I can't even articulate the dread, the emptiness, the fucking nightmare that I just went through because of what happened.

"But you didn't. So please, baby. I don't like seeing you so upset because of me."

I wipe my tears and snot with the back of my hand, attempting to compose myself before remembering where we are and the people around us. As I survey our surroundings, I sigh a breath of relief seeing that no one is actually paying much attention to us. The surgeons who attended to both Blake and Felix have joined us and are now giving updates on both patients' status. Katherine is wrapped in Felix's mum's arms. We all visibly relax upon hearing that they are both stable and in just a couple more hours, will be transferred to their individual hospital suites. They advise us that only the immediate family of the patients will be allowed in the suite for the time being and that we should wait for further advice when visitors will be allowed in the next few days.