017 - Alaska And Aeolian

She woke up to the sound of movement. The footsteps on the wet grass surrounding the cave was noisy and the wind didn't exactly help. The most it did was carry the warm scent of honey to her. It was sweet and full of flavour. That scent must belong to Red.

She stood up slowly and walked outside, shivering at the cold. She walked towards the scent, seeing a familiar blue-grey pelt. Phoenix was surprised at how heavy his scent was. Hers must have been too because he was staring excitedly at the direction she was at.

Red jogged towards her and licked the molly's cheek with no hesitation, earning a small purr. "Hello, Phoenix." He greeted, dipping his head. "How are you today?"

Phoenix shrugged. She had just woken up so there was nothing for her to be feeling right now. "I'm fine," she responded cautiously. "What about you? What are you doing out here?"

"I could smell your scent so naturally I came here."

"What do you mean 'naturally'? If i'm seen with you, I. Am. Dead."

"You'll be fine. Come on. Let's leave this place." He walked ahead and looked back to see if she was following.

Phoenix padded right behind him, sniffing the nearest tree. She raised an eyebrow and glared at him. All she got in return was a mewl of pride. "Did you really mark your scent all over my territory?" She growled.

Red shrugged. "I wanted you to come to me and you did so what's the problem?"

Phoenix stared at him dumbfounded. She shook her head and sighed, moving her amber gaze away from him. She allowed him to lean up against her, and he leaned down to lap at her shoulder. Phoenix half-smiled at his actions and found his sudden affection to be strange but didn't question it.

Red stopped when they got to The Forbidden Forest. To his surprise, Phoenix's scent was way stronger than the forest itself. He glanced down at Phoenix, who was staring up at him. She moved her head away from him as quick as she could. Red chuckled lightly.

There was nothing for them to speak about and thus, they stayed quiet. It wasn't long until Phoenix yawned. She looked up at Red with big, doe eyes and smiled. "I'm tired, can we sleep?"

Red felt a bit of panic rise up in his chest. He looked down at her and, "s-sleep? Us two, together?" was all the tom could choke out. When Phoenix nodded, he saw a glint of sadness in her eyes. Did he hurt her feelings? He stiffened up, a small, reassuring purr rumbling in his throat. "Sure, we can."

Phoenix smiled, flopping down onto her side. She looked up at him expectantly, shifting so that she laid on her stomach. Red laid down beside her and avoided her amber gaze. As soon as she closed her eyes, she dozed off to sleep.

--

Phoenix woke up with a jolt. The sun was way up in the sky and she hadn't gone back to Honey. She looked beside her, not feeling the tom cat's presence. Phoenix sighed sadly. What's wrong with me? She thought as she sat up. The molly picked up a stick between her jaws and dug it into the mud where sunlight hit the earth. She backed away, staring at the shadow. Five am. . . I think? Why didn't Honey teach me time? Where's Red, he should know this. Why do I miss him so much?

As if he heard her thoughts, Hawk appeared in front of her. "Maybe you love him?" The tom's voice startled Phoenix and she let out a yelp of surprise.