Pondering under the moon

The disease had existed for hundreds of years, but the pandemic had been taking a massive toll on the human race for only the last five. Human beings were being turned faster than they could be rehabilitated, or even hunted. The werewolves were not to blame, even though most of the population would like to think so. The disease was a plague caused by a rather malicious virus attacking the nervous system of its host. It plagued the mind and dictated the shift whenever it saw fit under the intoxicating glow of a full moon. However, many of the turned had learned to control their beast, even at the height of the lunar calendar.

Clarke Griffin was one of them. Her paws itched to feel the impact of running. Her tail whipped behind her occasionally as she stood at the borders of their territory. She wanted so badly to venture further into the unknown. But she couldn't. Especially now.

Clarke tried to keep herself grounded and out of her thoughts, but the moon above was threatening to release the beast in not only form, but mind as well. Clarke knew she couldn't risk it. It had happened to many of the other wolves and had even cost some their lives.

Clarke thought back to the most recent death. One of the younger wolves, Charlotte, had been suffering from the torment of trauma. Her parents had been killed by a werewolf before she herself was turned. She sought out to slay her demons, but had instead slain one of their own. She had hoped that killing the son of the wolf who had killed her parents would make her feel better. Instead, she was plagued by yet another ghost. It wasn't until one of the other delinquents sought out to kill her for her crimes that Charlotte came to the conclusion that she was the demon haunting her and those around her. Clarke tried to stop her, but was too late. Charlotte had thrown herself from a cliff. They then exiled the offender, Murphy. Clarke doubted that he would survive on his own, but thought that surviving with the guilt of the young girl's life on his hands would be a much greater punishment than death.

Sadly, they had more to fear than just the wrath of those who wished to go rogue within their own pack. Their pack had also been unfortunately found themselves on a much greater packs territory with no where else to go. Needless to say, they were not very pleased with the new arrivals. In fact, a war was being waged between the two competing packs. The other pack still had the upper hand in numbers and knowledge of this land. They were so adapted to the life of the wilderness. It was almost captivating to think of what the more personal aspects of their life must look like. Clarke yearned to see more of them. She wanted to see what they had been able to accomplish with just what they were able to take from the land around them.

She felt her fur stand on end, stealing her thoughts back to the present. She heard paws padding towards her. She turned to see the offender and was about to pounce when she recognized the fluffy brown coat and submissive stance. He yipped a greeting. Clarke responded with an annoyed grunt before going back to what she had been doing before: standing guard. The whole pack had been taking rotations guarding their camp since their last encounter with the Trikru pack.

Finn laid himself onto the ground beside her and began to breathe heavily in his sleep. Clarke found it hard not to feel endearment towards him. She knew she shouldn't, but it was difficult to say the least.

The two of them had had their own little affair, but it was over when Finn informed her that he had neglected to mention his other commitment: Raven. Clarke knew it wasn't the lone wolf's fault, but she still felt bitter. But when she felt bitter towards Raven, she felt disgust towards Finn who had lied to her and promised himself when he had already done so for another. But then he came and fell asleep at her paws and pulled the charm card of an omega. How annoying.

He began to yip in his sleep. Clarke took this as an opportunity to kick him with her hind leg. He awoke with a start and rolled over onto his stomach with a whine. Not being able to speak, Clarke simply stood her tail on end and pointed her head in the direction of camp. When he didn't get the hint, she snapped at his leg. Finn lowered his head. He looked up only to lower his gaze back down before retreating to camp. He walked with his head and tail low and soon disappeared into the tent. It seemed an odd sight to see a wild animal curl up in a tent, but it was their sleeping place for the rest of their non-wolf lives, so why change it once a month?

Clarke's watch was soon over and as much as her paws ached to run, she made her way back to the tents and plopped down on a cushion. She thought long and hard about all she wanted to know about the Trikru wolves. She wanted to see how they had become so adapted to the wild. She wanted to see what they did to control themselves on the full moon. And she wanted to see the people again. She had only seen a glimpse into their lives and though many of her pack called them savages, she knew there must be more to them. She was so drawn to them and found it increasingly hard to fight the urges to approach one again.