The Night Before The Escape

The day passed quickly. Lexa read the first book she was given rather quickly and spent the rest of the day thinking. Her pack hadn't come for her and it was clear they weren't going to. Her pack also hadn't attacked the Campers yet. Something wasn't right and her mind grew frantic as it fell over all the possibilities.exa knew it was most likely that Ontari had taken over. But why hadn't Ontari laid waste to the Campers yet? She knew that Ontari was simply Nia's puppet and Nia despised Clarke and her pack.

The unpredictable nature of the situation made Lexa very uneasy and she was counting down the hours until she could expect to be freed. Then, she would investigate and begin the repairs to her coalition amongst the region's different packs.

Lexa couldn't help but laugh bitterly at the nature of the situation. It was safe to say that her people gave up on her and that her one ally now was Clarke. Lexa chastised herself for making assumptions. She had to hope that her years of good treatment would aid her people's loyalty to her. But if Ontari has taken her place as Alpha in means of abandonment, there wouldn't be much Lexa could do other than issue a challenge which she really didn't want to do.

Clarke came back mid day to check in Lexa. They sat in silence as they ate their lunch sitting across from one another on the floor. Clarke has noticed how manners Lexa was when she ate, even for a wolf that had never been exposed to mundane society. She decided it was best not to mention it. She didn't want to accidentally be insulting to the mystery sitting before her.

Clarke disappeared for several more hours before she came back for the rest of the evening with dinner.

"I checked the rations."

Lexa paused her eating and looked up from her bowl. "And?"

"We should be good to go tomorrow afternoon. Bellamy is getting impatient and so are his followers. I managed to overpower him, but my lack of action against your people isn't helping my situation."

"I understand. Run through how I get out again?"

Clarke set her bowl aside. "Alright. I will get up tomorrow and double check that the right rations are going out. Then, I will come back with your bowl, picked clean if Jobi nuts. Mine will be as well. We will wait for everyone else to eat and then for the drug to kick in. It's smooth sailing from there. I will escort you past the gate to the edge of our territory and you will go back to your people from there. I only want to ask one thing of you."

Lexa perked up at that. "What do you wish to ask me, Clarke?"

"How do I get a truce from your Alpha?"

Lexa swallowed the lump forming in her throat. "That depends on who it is. The pack isn't exactly like others. We have a slightly different hierarchy."

Clarke nodded. "Okay, okay. How so?"

"We have different packs. 12 to be precise. They all have their own Alphas and unique laws. But above the Alphas is the Commander. She leads the coalition." Lexa felt strange talking about herself in third person, but Clarke couldn't know that she was the Commander until she was outside of her territory. She had to get back to her packs and Clarke thinking she was just a common folk was the best way to ensure that would happen.

"So we are in Trikru territory. Can we make peace with them first? Or is it all of the packs that are waging war on us?"

Lexa did feel a little disappointed in her messenger wolves. They really should've been more clear on that, but then again, these people didn't even know their hierarchy. "The Commander declared a territory dispute. It hasn't gotten severe enough to call it a war." Lexa sighed. "Trikru has the right to wipe out your people for violating pack law and being on their land without invitation. You have not been granted territory by the Commander."

"How do I speak to this Commander?"

"I can help you, but I have to get out first."

Clarke didn't respond. She just nodded before sitting down at her desk to begin carving another utensil. Her people had enough bowls and cups to last them for the rest of the year at least. Now, Clarke could bust herself with more advanced tools like forks and knives. She found them more enjoyable than her previous projects that had lacked complexity.

Lexa watched her skilled hands glide over the wood with the blade and wondered if this was something she did regularly with her old pack. Her hands were skilled and calloused, but not the way Lexa's were.

She went to sleep that night with her curiosity unanswered, but her anticipation strong. She was going to escape. But she planned on much more than just escaping.