Stories To Fill The Silence

It had been two days since Lexa was captured by the Campers. They had erected a post in the tent where she had been since her capture. She was now bound to it with a chain and lock that only Clarke held the key to. With nothing to pick or break the lock, Lexa really was stuck here.

She had to admit it was hard to not speak. There wasn't much to keep her busy other than thinking, but after a while, even thoughts can run out. She had nothing to spark new ideas.

Everyday Clarke woke up from where she had been sleeping on a cot on the floor. She would then eat her rations and bring Lexa some, even though the girl hadn't eaten any of it. Afterwards, she would take a notebook and leave the tent only to return later and scribble down notes in it before leaving with it again. Then, she would come back to her makeshift desk and carve some sort of dish or tool and arrange a hunt for the Alpha male and her betas. Lexa found it odd that she wasn't hunting with the other Alpha, but it made sense with Clarke not trusting anyone else with the prisoner.

On her third day there, Clarke spoke to Lexa for longer than usual. She didn't ask her her name or if she even spoke English. She just sat on the ground in front of the girl and looked into her eyes and explained how her people had gotten themselves into this mess.

"You know, my people, we don't want to be here either." The blonde started. Lexa was intrigued and faltered to raise her head to the sound, curiosity briefly passing across her features.

It was something so minor, but Clarke had noticed. It was written in the sad smile on her face. "You understand."

Shit. Lexa had faltered, but she wouldn't make it worse by responding.

Clarke allowed a moment of silence to pass before she spoke again. Her voice was soft and warm. "It's okay. I won't tell anyone. It's a step in the right direction. I will trust you in hopes that you will grow to trust me too." Clarke sighed and looked up before meeting those beautiful green eyes again. "We were exiled by our people. There were too many of us, resources were running short. We live a bit differently than you do and our resources are much rarer. We don't have as many trees and animals. We did have sheep and fields. And that's what we had our life built on. Sheep, fields, and being as far away from regular humans as possible. I'm sure you've noticed, but they don't really like us." Clarke was no longer smiling at all.

"We outgrew our land. And instead of expanding or putting more harsh rations and regulations in place, they sent all of us away. They chose kids who had broken pack law and exiled all of us. Most of us didn't do anything severely wrong. A lot of us are in for dumb things like fighting amongst each other, or speaking poorly of the Alpha. He's an ass and deserves it though.

But we were exiled anyway. We were told to never return. What's even funnier is that my mother didn't even know I had gotten in any trouble. She didn't know that I was going to be sent away, so I didn't tell her. I just wrote a note and left. I lead our people out of their territory and far away to stay safe. When we came here, we didn't think that anyone else lived here. We scoped it out and thought it was perfect and uninhabited. I gotta give your people props. You hide in plain sight."

Lexa felt some pride at the compliment and nodded ever so slightly in the direction of the girl. She figured that the expression was okay. This girl was the only thing standing between her and what ever it was that the other Alpha wanted with her. Just the thought of him worsened Lexa's mood. But now wasn't the time to be thinking of that. Right now she needed to listen and learn.

"When we first learned that your people were here, I was thrilled. I though that we could help each other and maybe even merge to strengthen us both. But then some of our hunters ran into one another and we slowly walked down this road to where we are now. I wish I would have been able to speak to your Alpha before some of my more pigheaded wolves decided to speak with their fists and fangs. And I should have more control over these people, but the other alpha, Bellamy, still has a lot of their favor. He is in support of the violence. He thinks that every act of violence they commit should be met with even more force. It in the end, that wold only end with the extinction of one, or even both, of our people."

Lexa couldn't disagree with the blonde, even though she wanted to. Blood must have blood. It was the best policy to stop violence from occurring in the first place. But she also understood the woman's pain.

"I shouldn't be boring you with these stories. I just couldn't handle this silence anymore. I just need someone else to know that I am trying my best every day. I don't want to hurt you or your people. If I could, I would end all of this. I just don't know who to go to or how. Not all of us are bad."

And with that, Clarke stood and walked over to her cot. She glanced back at the bowl of food that was still beside Lexa from earlier that evening.

"You should probably eat soon. You don't want to starve yourself."

Lexa looked at the bowl untrustingly.

"Here." Clarke picked up the bowl and grabbed a few berries before dropping them in her mouth. She ripped off a piece of the meat and ate them both. "The food is safe. I promise you."

Clarke laid herself in the cot and relaxed. She could hear Lexa scoot forward. She heard the scrape of the bowl on the ground and knew that Lexa was eating. Good.

Just as the blonde was about to drift off to sleep, she heard the woman whisper. It was barely audible, but Clarke heard it.

"You're one of the good ones, Clarke."

The world went dark and Clarke was asleep.