|18.|

Chapter Eighteen ▪The King's Queen |2|

There was one thing the Royals forgot about when airing the news of the Declaration to the world.

Dahlia and Isaac's mother.

The thought brought immoblizing fear to Dahlia as soon as it crossed her mind.

"Alexander! My mother! She's all alone, oh my Goddess how could I forget about her?!" She got up from their bed and pulled on her discarded underwear on the floor as she rushed to the wardrobe and pulled on her combat gear, fully expecting another late night fight in her old home.

"Jesus, Dahlia, you should really stop the whole screaming and getting out of bed to save your mother thing. I put guards on her when she was last attacked, remember?"

"What?" She stopped pulling on her boots. "You didn't tell me that."

"Yes, I did. You probably forgot it in this whole chaotic situation we are in. Your Chaos probably helped." He hugged her lone pillow to his chest and snuggled up to it.

"I guess I'll go do some paperwork, there's no way I'm going back to bed now that I'm so high on adrenaline." She scratched her neck, looking out at the moon in the middle of the sky.

"No, you're not going to sleep, but you definitely are going to bed."

***

"Ugh, I'm gonna go blind reading this." Dahlia groaned as she read through the Declaration of Equality. It was more of a book than a declaration, but the former name suited it better.

At least it didn't have a cover. That would've made it far more like a book. Then again, maybe she'd read it more gladly if it did.

"You can take a break. I'll see if there are any more major changes that need to be done and we'll go over them together."

"I'll read it, I just need a break."

"You can visit Lady if you'd like. She asked for you."

"Why?"

"Probably to chat, I feel like you're the only girl she's actually interested in talking to."

"Okay. I'll be back soon."

"Sure. Love you." He smiled at her as she kissed his cheek.

"Ugh, again with the sappiness."

"You know you love me."

"Keep teling yourself that." She laughed as she entered the portal she created, her emotions and thoughts jumbled.

She stumbled onto the streets of Paris, less then a minute away from Lady's house.

She wasn't expecting people around the usually semi-lone palace, but the place was overly crowded with human and creature politicians. The sharp suits and folders under their arms gave their status away.

"Your Highness." The men and women bowed as they parted ways for her to walk through them and to the palace.

Lady must have sensed the commotion, or lack thereof, as she quickly walked out of the palace and linked her arm with Dahlia's, leading her away from the stares and shocked faces.

"I'm sorry, I must have miscalculated where the portal should be, I really didn't mean to make all that commotion or-"

"Dahlia, stop. I know that this is all new for you, but as a royal, you can never apologise or seem shocked. In fact, you must always be composed and act as regal as you are. I'm not lecturing you or anything, but as I already consider you as a sister, I'd hate to see your reputation ruined. You know how this world works, you eat or be eaten."

"I think it's supposed to be kill or be killed."

"Most vampires just eat."

"Right. What did you ask to see me about?"

"I just wanted to see you, talk about how you are feeling in all of this, you know?"

Lady's truthful answer shocked Dahlia. In the past week or so, nobody had been interested in how she felt. They only cared about what she did or didn't do.

"Truthfully, this whole thing hasn't really sinked in. I didn't even think about my feelings in this, I've basically been a robot the entire time."

"Should I ask for some tea?"

"Probably, yes."

***

About an hour or two later, Dahlia had her head in Lady's lap, tears wetting Lady's knees. Loud sobs broke out of the Queen's chest, shaking her entire body.

"I, like, kind of miss my mom and how simple my life was, but I would never go back to it. I mean, I'm doing something good here, aren't I? I'm helping my formerly fellow humans and just generally trying to make the world a better place. But I still miss not having the whole world on my shoulders." She ranted.

"Our Alex really comes with some baggage, doesn't he?" Lady joked, not finding the need to reply to any of Dahlia's statements. She was there to listen, as that was all the Queen needed at that point in time.

"Oh that he does." Dahlia laughed back, despite her tear stained face.

"You should allow yourself to break down sometimes. Nobody can be perfect all the time, and that's okay. It's just that us royals need to know when we can can't show our emotions, that's all. Whenever you're feeling sad or need to vent, just call me and I'll come over or you can teleport, okay?"

"Yes, doctor. You should've become a therapist, not a tracker and everything else you're the best at."

"I totally would have if I was born in a more modern time. But then again, I love what I do. I have a family because of it. Just like you love being a Queen because Alex is a bonus to it."

"Yeah, yeah. Sappy love, mates and all that boring stuff."

Lady chuckled as Dahlia walked through an ominous black portal she created.