The call

Zoe came back early and realised Joe wasn't downstairs, so Zoe thought he was just playing his games upstairs. She walked upstairs and went into Joe's room. She saw him staring blankly into his wall. He only did this if he was upset or really focused on something. 

"Joe, are you alright?" 

"I'm more than alright. She's my girlfriend." 

"Who? Dianne?" 

"Yeah! I'm so happy!" 

"I'm so happy for you Joe. I knew you two were perfect for each other. So how did you ask?" 

"We were just sat on the sofa and she kissed me. She said that it might have been a drunken mistake but this one isn't a sober one. Then she told me about her problems and then we sorted out that she's going to stay round next weekend." 

"Oh god. Don't be making any loud noises. Mum could hear you." 

"Zoe! Says you. All I'm listening at night is you and Alfie in the room next door."

"Don't bring Alfie into this." 

"Then don't bring Dianne into this." 

"We were talking about her you idiot! Anyway, mum said she's coming home so she'll be here in about 10 minutes. You can tell her about you and Dianne." 

"I will. It's not like I'm going to keep it a secret from her. Plus, I'm 16. I can make my own decisions."

"And I'm still 18 months older than you." 

"Just say a year and a half. You weirdo."

"Alright, a year and a half. But I'm still older than you." 

Zoe heard the door open and heard "I'm home." She couldn't resist the opportunity to shout, "Mum! Joe's got something important to tell you." 

Joe gave her a death stare and got up. They both walked down the stairs and saw their mum. 

"Hiya you two, you alright?" 

"Joe's more than alright mum. But I'm good." 

"Zoe, I swear to god. I can tell her." 

"Tell me what?" 

"I've got a girlfriend." 

"Who is it?"

"Dianne." 

"Aww. My little Joseph's got a girlfriend." 

Graham came round the corner and smirked at Joe. 

"Dad!" 

Graham laughed and went back to what he was doing. Tracy came up to him and gave him a hug. 

"Actually mum, I have a quick question." 

"What is it?" 

"Can Dianne stay round next weekend?" 

"Sure thing. I don't mind, do you Graham?" 

"As long as they keep it down up in the bedroom." 

"Dad! We won't be doing any of that, thank you very much." 

"Sure you won't." 

Joe shook his head and walked back upstairs. He sat on his bed and got his phone. He text Dianne. 

'See you tomorrow, I didn't get to say goodbye. Xx'

He got an almost immediate reply. 

'See you tomorrow Joey. xxxx'