Viva Lá Revolution

I was just trying to focus on breathing. It was difficult, trying to keep a level head about having to tell the guy that had asked me out that I was no longer interested in having a potential relationship with him.

"Beej, I'm having second-thoughts," I whispered over my shoulder, ringing my hands anxiously. I felt his cold hand gently rest on my shoulder.

"Hey, (Y/N), it's okay. I'm right behind you."

I inhaled another deep breath and walked up behind Dalton, nervous as crap. I hesitantly tapped him on the shoulder. "Uh, Dalton?"

He turned around to face me. "Oh, hey, (Y/N)! I was just gonna..... wait, what's wrong?" he asked suddenly, his brow furrowing.

"I uh, I can't do this."

"What?"

I stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry. I really wanted this to work out, but... It just feels all wrong."

"I don't understand-"

I took a deep breath and looked up at him resolutely. 

"This relationship can't go anywhere." 

He stared at me. I stared back. Neither of us made any move to address the situation and move the conversation along. Beej floated beside us, watching the awkwardness ensue. Before Dalton even uttered another word, I mumbled a quiet "goodbye" before swiftly exiting the building and hopping into my car, locking it and just sitting in silence. 

Beetlejuice materialized in the passenger seat beside me, glancing over at me in concern.

"Hey, ya did good back there, you know."

I sighed. "It doesn't feel like it. I feel awful. I just hate that-"

I bolted up-right in my seat and stopped talking when I saw Dalton quickly emerge from Panera and search for my car. He spotted my lime green Kia and made a beeline straight for it. 

"Crap! What do I do??"

Beej gave me a sly look, and I knew what he wanted. 

I hesitated.

Then I had a thought.

I was done being scared and cautious. 

Screw it.

I turned to my companion. "Okay, I'm gonna summon you, but only to kinda back me up, okay? Can you somehow disguise yourself to look more...."

"....Alive?"

I nodded. "Yeah. That."

With a snap of his fingers, Beetlejuice was suddenly in cargo shorts, flip-flops, a t-shirt depicting the band QUEEN, and a stylish pair of aviator sunglasses. His hair was now more fully brown, with only the very tips their normal electric green color. His skin was slightly less pale. I stared at him, impressed.

"Okay, that's really good."

"I know."

I rolled my eyes at him, glancing at the rapidly approaching Dalton in front of us. I turned back to Beetlejuice and sighed. 

"Okay, here goes," I said, squeezing my eyes shut. "Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!"

Other than a deep chill that ran down my spine and seemed to seep into my bones, nothing noticeably changed when I chanted his cursed name. I cracked an eye open hesitantly. 

"Did it work?"

He grinned at me. "It did."

I exhaled in relief, a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. I ignored it.