Chapter Seven

I had NO IDEA it had been nearly a week since I updated. Oops. To believe there was one a time when I updated something every day.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Bucky and Steve returned from their date with a pack of some sort of game cards. Wanda was confused. "What's that?" She asked.

"This, my dear," said Bucky. "Is Uno. It's a card game, obviously. It tears people apart. It doesn't matter how close you are, while playing Uno, you are enemies. It's really fun. Wanna play?"

Wanda laughed. "Sure."

Steve and Bucky sat down, explaining the rules to Wanda. Soon, an intense game was starting. It went on for two hours before an unapologetic Bucky claimed victory.

"Hey, can I go on a date tomorrow?" Wanda asked.

"WHAT?!" Both of her dads chorused.

"Who?!" Bucky added.

"Peter."

"Oh," Bucky said.

"Sure," Steve said. "You just about gave me a heart attack kid."

"How is it my fault you're an old man with, what you say, cardiac issues?" Wanda smirked.

Steve hit her in the head with a pillow, making her laugh. He read the next chapter of The Lightning Thief as Wanda stroked Ranger's fur.

Then they went to their rooms. Wanda called Peter and told him she could go. He told her they'd go to dinner and catch a movie. She grinned, saying that that was perfect. Peter said he'd pick her up at six. They said goodnight before hanging up.

Wanda picked up the guitar Steve and Bucky's friends had gotten for her as a welcome gift and quietly started playing the song she'd been practicing. She sang quietly as to not draw attention.

"Finding refuge in my own lies. 'How are you?' 'I'm doing alright.' Small talk is a great disguise. Just let me be. Just let me be."

She moved to the next verse. "Empty thoughts start to cloud my mind. Am I only living, living to survive? Shake it off, but I've lost the drive. Just let me be. Just let me be. Let me be ok.

"No one knows what goes on up inside my head. There's a new kind of poison and it's starting to spread. No one knows what goes on up inside my head. They don't think I need help, but I'm scaring myself. I just want to be ok. I just want to be ok.

"All the voices in my head are coming to life. They're getting louder and I'm, I'm terrified. How do you run from your own mind? Is this what I've become? Take it back, what have I done?

"No one knows what goes on up inside my head. There's a new kind of poison and it's starting to spread. No one knows what goes on up inside my head. They don't think I need help, but I'm scaring myself. I just want to be ok. I just want to be ok.

"No one knows what goes on up inside my head. There's a new kind of poison and it's starting to spread. But I didn't think the antidote was in my hands. I can change my plans, I can change my plans.

"I tried to find my reflection on the glass. But all I ever saw was the things I lack. All the smudges in the mirror made me go insane. All I ever thought I was was a mistake.

"No one knows what goes on up inside my head. There's a new kind of poison and it's starting to spread. No one knows what goes on up inside my head. Up inside my head. Up inside my head." She strummed the last few cords, finishing the song.

She got up, setting down her guitar. As she walked back to her bed, she happened to catch a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She paused, looking herself over, frowning. She was wearing a tight black tank top with an equally tight denim skirt. It showed off her curves nicely. Since moving in with Steve and Bucky two months before, she'd filled out some more. She focused on her stomach, which was no longer flat. Wanda had always been very self-conscious. She couldn't help but wonder if anyone had noticed. She took a deep breath and shooed away the thought with a shake off her head.

She grabbed pajamas and walked into her bathroom. She peed and changed clothes. She washed her hands, removed her makeup, and brushed her teeth. She grabbed her comb and ran it through her hair, sometimes struggling to remove a tangle from her curls.

As she headed to bed, a knock caught her attention. "Yes?"

"Can we come in, doll?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah, yeah, sure. For the millionth time, you don't need to ask."

"For the millionth time, we're respecting your privacy," Steve countered as they walked into her room, sitting on the bed next to her.

"What do you want to talk about?" Wanda asked.

"Your date with Peter, of course. What are you guys doing?"

"Just, dinner and a movie."

"So only a few hours," Bucky said.

"Yeah."

"What are you going to wear?"

"I'm thinking this with my black leather jacket," She said, pulling out a short red dress.

"Cute!" Bucky praised, making Wanda grin. "You're gonna make him swoon, Wandie. Which reminds me, do you know the birds and the bees?"

"The what?"

"DO NOT FONDUE!" Steve snapped.

Wanda just stared at him and Bucky rolled his eyes.

"No sex," Bucky translated.

"Oh. Why didn't he just say that?"

"Because he's weird. So no sex talk?"

Wanda's face blushed as red as a fire truck. "What?! NO!"

Bucky and Steve laughed, making her pout. "Good, kid," Steve said. "We didn't want to have that conversation."

"Well, I know what it is, yay, you don't have to. Please don't."

Bucky smirked. "Well, as long as you don't give us a reason to-"

"Shut up!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa young lady," Steve teased. "Don't talk to your fathers like that!"

Wanda stuck out her tongue.

Bucky gently shoved her backwards. "Go to bed."

"Fine." She crawled under the sheets, allowing them to kiss her forehead goodnight. Like every night, they told her they loved her before flipping off her light and leaving the room.

Wanda smiled, closing her eyes. She loved it here. If she could change anything, it would only be to have Pietro with her. She fell asleep.

Bucky flipped the channel on the tv in his and Steve's room.

"Hey!" Steve objected.

"Not everyone wants to watch political news every night."

"I can't see why they wouldn't."

Bucky hit him with a pillow.

"Seriously, though! What's wrong with it?!"

"It's BORING, Captain America."

It was Steve's turn to roll his eyes. "Really, Buck? My old military nickname?"

"Hey, you earned that nickname."

"Whatever, Winter Soldier."

Bucky glared at him. "Well, I'm not watching politics at midnight. I'm watching quality television." He gestured towards the tv.

"Bucky, that's Dora the Explorer."

"So? Better than politics. At least here you can learn Spanish."

"Go to sleep."

"You, too." Bucky kissed him before rolling onto his side. Steve wrapped his arms around him, and they fell asleep to Dora saying "Swiper, no swiping!"