Chapter 6

Dhruv's cheeks turned red as Kavya closed the door behind him. He felt as if today he had no control over his mouth whatsoever.

Kavya and Dhruv both sat down on the couch and she looked at him and cleared her throat awkwardly.

"Why don't we put the lemonade in the jug over there?" Kavya said, pointing to a jug on the table.

"Sure, I'll pour it."

Kavya went to the kitchen and began to turn the stove on so she could start making the noodles. Her hands began to put the vegetables in the sauté pan. She began to boil the noodles when she went out to the dinner table to check on Dhruv.

He was sitting at the table and admiring the arrangements. He looked at the candles and the dinnerware. Observing all the fancy arrangements she had made, he smiled.

"You prepare quite well for guests. Is all of this special treatment for you or for someone special?" he said with a hint of playfulness in his tone.

Kavya blushed. She knew secretly that she only set the whole place up because he was coming over. She also knew that she never prepared this much when her own parents came over!

Kavya headed back to the kitchen and Dhruv smiled, noticing her nervousness.

She began to resume cooking when he came into the kitchen and before she knew it. He was standing right behind her.

His breath could be heard as he leaned in closer to her ear and then surprisingly placed his chin on her shoulder and pulled her towards his chest.

Kavya sighed and closed her eyes. She hadn't felt this comfortable in a while.

Dhruv suddenly placed his hands on her back and she realized that her strings to her saree were untied and that he had noticed and was going to tie them.

He began to tie a tight knot and she clutched the countertop tightly and let out a sigh. Dhruv leaned in closely to whisper something in her ear.

"You know.. you're a good host. You give your guests quite the treat." he said mischievously.

Her heart lurched and warmth engulfed her.

"Only for special ones, "  Kavya said smiling.

Dhruv breathed in her sweet smell and closed his eyes and sighed.

"Kavya I.."

The sounds of a car honking outside interrupted them and they immediately jumped apart from each other.

"I'll go check on the ice cream in the freezer, " Kavya said mumbling awkwardly.

Dhruv left to go back to the living room and Kavya touched her waist where his hands had been. She shook her head and cursed herself.

•••

Before they knew it they were sitting on Kavya's balcony chairs and Kavya was giving Dhruv a bowl of ice cream.

"Here's your ice cream," said Kavya.

"Thanks, "  said Dhruv in response.

Kavya then proceeded to grab two bowls for herself and began to eat.

Dhruv looked at her in amusement. "You're going to eat two bowls?"

"I'm the birthday girl. I get to do whatever I want, " said Kavya flipping her hair jokingly.

A comfortable silence settled around them and Dhruv began to sneak glances of Kavya through the corner of his eyes when she wasn't noticing.

He noticed how her eyes crinkled up when she laughed and how a dimple came out on her cheek. How her hair blew on her face and how her delicate fingers brushed through her hair when she was frustrated or nervous.

Dhruv noticed that Kavya had a bit of ice cream in her lips and he suddenly leaned forward and reached his fingers out toward her lips.

"You have ice cream over there."

Kavya tried to wipe it off unsuccessfully because she had a spoon in one hand and her other hand was trying to reach for a napkin which was too far.

Dhruv's fingers touched Kavya's lips and he began to delicately wipe the ice cream off. Kavya closed her eyes and soon his nose touched hers and their cheeks brushed each other's. 

They began to lean in so both their lips would touch each other when suddenly his phone began to ring and they both jumped apart.

Dhruv pulled out his phone and looked at the caller ID. His face darkened and his face turned into a look of pure annoyance and hatred.

Dhruv rushed past Kavya as he thought that the moment that they just shared was absolutely forbidden as well as pure crime.

"Dhruv wait!" Kavya exclaimed.

Dhruv held up his hand in anger and slammed the door of Kavya's apartment loudly which caused the candle to fall off the dining table.

He left Kavya to figure out a mistake she apparently made. Or at least she assumed that she did make a blunder on her part.