Chapter 16

Kavya stood outside on the balcony. She whiffed in the cool air and sighed as the breeze messed up her hair. She sipped her mango smoothie while sitting on the upstairs balcony.

She turned around and saw Dhruv staring into the sunset. Kavya inhaled the cold crisp air. She isn't once to meander and dilly dally so she figured that she should take the first step and cut the chase.

Kavya's heart thumps loudly in her chest as she is about to ask Dhruv a question that she has been dying to ask him since their first meeting.

She walks up to him and stands behind him. Kavya taps his shoulder and in a rush spills the words out.

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

Oh god! He's going to say no.

Dhruv yanks Kavya's arm and pulls her to his chest.

"It took you long enough Kav."

Kavya's heart soars as she hears Dhruv call her by a nickname and of course, because of his approval.

Dhruv starts to kiss her as he presses his lips on hers. Kavya's arms automatically go around his neck and she deepens the kiss by pulling him towards her. The kiss is soft at first but then escalates as Dhruv pushes Kavya up against the door that leads to the exit of the balcony. Both were battling for control until they needed to catch their breath. They break apart for air and their noses as well as their foreheads touch.

They began to laugh and suddenly walk over to a nearby bench and sit down.

Dhruv pulls open a box from his pocket and tosses it to Kavya.

"What's inside?"

"Open it."

Kavya opens the box and smiles. Her heart warms up at the necklace and she delicately holds it in her hands. The necklace has a K engraved on it along with a strawberry and a lemon.

"It's gorgeous."

Dhruv assists Kavya in wearing the necklace and when she gazes up at him after wearing it. Kavya pulls Dhruv in for a kiss.

Or ten.

Dhruv kisses the top of Kavya's forehead and a firework goes off in the background.

Sparks go flying and kisses are exchanged multiple times as the couple walks back to the wedding hand in hand.

•••

3 months later

"I can't believe all that happened," remarked Kavya as Dhruv and her were laughing recalling the incidents at Raina and Sarah's wedding.

"I know. It feels like it all happened so long ago!"

"My birthday is coming soon," said Kavya casually.

"Well we all remember what happened on your last birthday," said Dhruv laughing.

"So how are you going to make it up to me?" asked Kavya.

"Hmm.., maybe a tribute to how we met? Some strawberry ice cream along with a date night at home."

"Couldn't be better," Kavya said laughing.

Dhruv laughed along with her and suddenly gazed at her intensely. Kavya's heartbeat increased as his lips came into her view and suddenly she closed her eyes and he pressed his lips on hers. They laid down on the couch with him on top of her. He kissed her lips and proceeded to turn off the lights of the room.

Kavya and Dhruv have now been in a relationship for almost three months and they were both as happy as can be. Dhruv had bought his own house in Udaipur. Kavya had got a promotion which allowed her to buy a house in Udaipur as she left her old flat behind in Mumbai. That allowed the couple to meet each other often. The photos that Kavya clicked of Sarah and Raina kissing had been published in some of the biggest magazine publications, shocking the country of India to the core and mobilizing as well as uplifting the LGBTQ+ community.

And yes. Kavya introduced Dhruv as her official boyfriend to her parents and her mother could not be more delighted.

The kind of love that had a little bit of Sweet & Sour.

THE END