Chapter 15

"You knew about this?" asked Kavya.

"Yes, she was the first one to tell me," said Dhruv. "Raina and Sarah fell in love when they both met each other at boarding school."

"Then why aren't they together?" questioned Kavya.

"Because you know my mom and dad. They will disown me and will never accept this in a million years," said Raina.

"Is that why both of you are being forced to get married to each other?" asked Kavya who was looking at Dhruv and Raina.

"Yes. When Raina's parents heard about her relationship with Sarah, they forced her to break ties and made her get married to me. The truth is that me and Raina only view each other as really good friends since we grew up together. And the truth is. I really just want her to be happy."

"Yes. After my parents pressured me, they made me pressure Dhruv, and his parents were already pressuring him so eventually, both of us just succumbed to the pressure. I want you to be happy as well Dhruv," Raina said. She looked over at Kavya and wiggled her eyebrows knowingly.

'How much do you know?" asked Kavya shocked as her cheeks turned pink.

"Enough to say that I want you to be happy as well." winked Raina.

"Is that why you stormed out on me the other day? Because you got a call from Raina?" asked Kavya to both Raina and Dhruv.

"Indeed. I am guilty of that one Kav. I wasn't admitting my true identity to myself and forced Dhruv into this marriage. We got into huge fights about it just because I wasn't willing to grow up and accept who I am." said Raina. "Sorry I caused all these misunderstandings between you and Dhruv.," said Raina looking down at her feet.

"Once again Kavya. I'm really sorry for storming out like that. It wasn't acceptable under any circumstance and I just really hope that you can forget it and move on. I didn't intentionally mean to hurt you." said Dhruv.

Kavya smiled and nodded at Dhruv as well as Raina. "Sarah, your snappish behavior that day to Raina's mom makes so much more sense now. It all clicks in place."

"You are right. But now what do we do?" asked Sarah.

Kavya thought to herself.

I understand the situation and their nervousness. Being openly gay in India is still a huge taboo topic. Some people just don't accept it. And not just in India, but in many parts of the world. But if one of the richest most privileged women in India can't come out to the world and tell people who she loves, then who stands a chance?

"I have an idea."

Kavya explains her thought process and everyone stares at her in shock.

"This is so bizarre and crazy! I'm honestly scared," said Raina.

"I'm on board with it," said Sarah.

"Is it going to work?" asked Dhruv.

"We have to wait and see."

•••

A few hours later Kavya watches the groom's procession arrive as they dance their way to the bride's quarters. The groom is sitting in a carriage with a sehra covering his face. People are hooting and whistling and finally, the dancing stops.

The groom comes out with his turban on his head and his Indian garb. Kavya snaps a photo.

The crowd gasps and shrieks.

Under the sehra is Sarah. Grinning ear to ear she walks towards her bride and Kavya clicks a photo as Raina stares back at her with as much intensity. Raina has a fiery red lehenga on with ruby red gems adorning her.

"Where is Dhruv? This is unacceptable!" yelled Raina's mom amongst the commotion.

Sarah and Raina walk towards the dais where they will be taking their vows and I see Dhruv standing right next to the priest.

And when Raina and Sarah reach the dais, Raina plants the biggest kiss on Sarah's lips.

Kavya clicks.

"Now that is a perfect shot," Kavya whispers to herself.

"Mom. Today I'm going to marry the person I love the most in this world. Sarah. I'm sorry that you don't agree with all of this, but I can't be in a relationship that destroys someone's happiness as well as mine. I hope you'll forgive me later." says Raina with respect and tenderness. She looks over at her mom and gives her a small smile.

"Come on Dhruv. Let's do this," said Sarah.

A few whistles and cheers come from the crowd and soon enough, Raina's mom's face pales and Dhruv's mom faints while both their dads look shocked.

A few whistles and claps turn into full-on roaring and cheering. People started getting out of their seats excitedly to witness one of the very few PUBLIC same-sex marriages.

Kavya sighs and snaps photos.

Sarah and Raina head towards the dais and sit down. They begin to recite the instructions the priest gives them and people watch from the crowd amazed at what they are seeing.

Dhruv ties the knot which connects Sarah and Raina. They both hold hands and walk around the fire making promises to each other. Even the priest pauses his speech to clap which sends the audience berserk in excitement.

"This union has been finalized! Raina Kashyap and Sarah Williams are now officially married. Everyone can bless the couple and give them their good wishes."

Kavya smiled and looked up at Dhruv. His intense gaze was fixed on her and she smiled back. Kavya knew that the pounding in her heart wasn't going to stop until the words came out of her mouth.