this "perfect" glass world and him

That next morning I woke up fairly early. It assumed it was about six am, since I had no clock in my room to tell me the time, and got up out of bed. Without even thinking about it I started making my bed and cleaning up the room.

It was already looked lived in after one night. As I was tidying up, Winston opened the door and walked into the room.

“Good morning” He said. He had a smile on his face. It almost tore my heart in half thinking about what I would later be doing.

“Morning” I said, putting on a fake smile. “Any plans for the day?”

“Actually, yes” He said. “There’s a picnic at the butterfly garden, happening midday”

“And I have to attend?”

“Well of course. We’re meeting with some of the most important glass people of our world”

“Who’s we?” I asked.

“Yourself, me, and some others from the palace” He said. “Just a few friends and workers”

“Workers?”

“Yeah, some of the glass people here work jobs. Like Maureen works as a makeup specialist for those who are in loss of glass texture”

“Oh. You don’t have a name for your kind?”

“No. Everyone already understands the meanings and it is easily describable”

I finished the cleaning and pulled open the drawers.

“Clothes?” I asked.

He nodded. “Spare ones. You can take anything you’d like.”

I was thankful to get out of my black slip. I’d almost forgotten I’d been wearing it for the past two days. It had seemed to blend in with their “perfect” world standards.

I went to a bathroom down the hall and changed into another dress. Unfortunately the only things they had available were dresses for the girls and so I was stuck with one. Fortunately though, it wasn’t a tight black slip but rather a more billowy white sundress. It was almost kind of pretty. It was short and stopped at my knees and had a dark blue ribbon that tied around my waist and had a bow at my back.

I put on the black heels because they didn’t really have any other shoe options that were better and left my hair down. It was somewhat curly because I had been wearing it in a side braid.

A few hours before meeting with the upper known glass people, I went to see Maureen, who would be doing my hair and makeup again. It wasn’t exactly a choice of mine. She did the same kind of makeup for me and curled my hair a little more than it already was. Whereas my hair had been wavy and thin she had added more texture.

I did have to admire her sense of appearance. I did look kind of pretty. I thanked her and then met up with Winston. As it turns out, we were going to a butterfly garden inside. There were lunch tables and lots of plants everywhere and a huge ceiling with sunlight filtered through. We would be eating with the other glass people.

Winston himself got dressed up a little. More than he usually dressed, which was normally a rolled up white sleeved shirt, black dress pants, a grey button up vest over the shirt, and black dress shoes. Today he wore a tight black t shirt with a black blazer jacket over it, with dark grey jeans, and grayish sneaker shoes.

I felt a bit underdressed in only a white sundress so I found a navy blue cardigan in my room and threw it on. Winston told me that the butterfly garden was only in walking distance and we would have to cut through a path in the woods again, but travel a different route than the one we’d taken yesterday to get to the village shops. Instead of snow drizzling trees we walked underneath autumn ones with falling orange leaves. The trees I noticed had diamonds embarked into their trunk. It was odd looking but then I remembered I was in the “perfect” world.