4

Arthur eventually returned to their campsite. He laid down next to Guinevere and soon fell asleep, the events of the day catching up with him. Once he was fully unconscious, Myrddin set protection spells around the camp and called for Kilgharrah. The dragon begrudgingly allowed Myrddin to ride him as they went to find the people of Camelot. 

Once they did, Myrddin led them all to a clearing. He told them to wait there. Then, he returned to their campsite and woke up his parents. "There's something I need to show you," he told Arthur.

Arthur and Guinevere followed him. "This had better be good," Arthur grumbled. "Because this really isn't the time for your ridiculous games."

"I was thinking last night about how you were saying how you've given up hope and are a terrible king," Myrddin explained. "And, well, it reminded me of a tale that Gaius once told me."

"Merlin, I'm not really interested in one of your bedtime stories."

"For once in your life, just listen. Please? Many years ago before the birth of the five kingdoms, this land was an endless cycle of bloodshed and war, but one man was determined to put an end to all that. He gathered together the elders of each of the tribes and drew up plans for the land to be divided. Each would respect each others' boundaries, and drew it over the land as they saw fit. That man was Camelot's first king, and your ancestor." And mine.

"Bruta. Yes, Merlin, every child in Camelot knows the story. Can I go back to bed now?"

"No, because there's another part to the story."

Arthur raised his eyebrows. "Really?"

"When Bruta was on his deathbed, he asked to be taken deep into the forest. There, with the last of his strength, he thrust his sword into a rock. Only the true king of Camelot can pull the weapon free."

"Are you making this up?"

"No." Yes.

"Alright. If this is true, why haven't I heard the story?"

"Well history isn't your strong point, is it?" Myrddin jabbed. 

Arthur rolled his eyes. "And where is the rock?"

"Oh, it was lost during the Great Purge, but I found it."

"I've never heard so much rubbish in my entire life."

"What's that then?" Myrddin motioned to the sword that he had thrust into the rock a few years back. Arthur's jaw dropped and Guinevere put a hand over her mouth. Neither could believe it. As they got closer, a huge crowd of peasants and knights appeared from the forest. They were safe and alive. Arthur glanced back at Myrddin to see his proud grin.

"What are you playing at?" 

"I'm proving that you are their leader and king."

"The sword is stuck in the stone."

"And you're going to pull it out." Myrddin pushed Arthur closer to the sword.

"Merlin, it's impossible," Arthur protested.

"Arthur. You're the true king of Camelot. You need to believe in yourself."

"You better be right about this," Arthur grumbled.

Arthur approached the sword slowly. He placed both hands on the hilt and pulled with all his might. It was no use.  He let go of the sword.

"You need to believe in yourself, Arthur. Have faith."

Arthur reached for the sword again, this time with only one hand. He closed his eyes and pulled. Myrddin muttered a spell, and the sword came cleanly out of the rock. Arthur stared at the sword in awe.

"Long live the king!" Leon was the first to shout the phrase, followed by the rest of the knights, and then all of the peasants. 

-

The knights gathered at Myrddin, Arthur and Guinevere's campsite to come up with a plan. They were going to seize back Camelot before the day was through.

Arthur snapped his fingers in front of Myrddin's face. "You look like you've been awake for half the night."

Myrddin scoffed. "I was awake the whole night."

Once everyone's weapons were sharp, they prepared to head back to Camelot. Myrddin waited until Arthur and Guinevere were done with their moment, Myrddin walked over to his mother. "If this doesn't work," he said quietly, "and we fail, I want you to know that I'm sorry." 

Guinevere was confused. "What do you have to apologize for?"

Myrddin shook his head. "I made a promise to you, once. But don't worry about it. If we succeed, I will tell you everything."

Guinevere nodded. "Then you better succeed. I might die of curiosity."

Myrddin chuckled. "We don't want that."

"Merlin! Come on!" Arthur yelled from across the clearing.

"Coming!"

-

Once they got to Camelot's walls, the group split up. Percival and Leon went to the dungeons to get the rest of the knights and Gaius, while Arthur and Mryddin went to confront Morgana. 

After defeating all of Morgana's men that stood in their way, Myrddin and Arthur burst into the throne room, where Morgana was waiting for them. "Welcome, dear brother," she sneered, "it's been far too long." Morgana stood up from the throne and walked towards them. "I apologize if you had a difficult reception. It's hard to know who to trust these days."

Arthur said nothing, and met her in the middle of the room. He sheathed his sword. "What happened to you, Morgana?" He asked quietly. "I thought we were friends."

"As did I... But alas, we were both wrong."

"You can't blame me for Uther's sins, Morgana."

"It's a little late for that. You're not as different from Uther as you would like to think."

"Nor are you."

Morgana obviously did not appreciate being compared to Uther. Any emotion left on her face drained away. "I am going to enjoy killing you, Arthur Pendragon. No one can save you now." Morgana walked back to the throne and then turned back to face her half-brother. Arthur drew Excalibur, causing her to smirk. "Your blade cannot stop me."

Morgana stuck her hand out in front of her and began mutttering a spell. Panicked, Myrddin shot his own spell at her, causing a decorative sword to fly at Morgana and pin her at the shoulder to the wall behind her. She screamed in pain. Arthur looked at Myrddin with wide eyes. "We can deal with this later," Mryddin told him. "I'm going to prevent her from using magic. Do what you have to do."

Arthur hesitated. Myrddin could tell that he was debating trusting a sorcerer. After a few moments, Arthur must have decided to trust Myrddin, because he walked over to Morgana, who had detached herself from the wall. Morgana began chanting a spell, but nothing happened. She looked frightened.

"Not so powerful now, my lady," Arthur said. "I really am sorry, Morgana." Arthur stabbed Morgana and she gasped, feeling the power of the blade forged with a dragon's breath. After removing the sword, he caught her and lowered her to the ground. Arthur held her until she died.

He stayed there for a moment, holding his sister. A single tear rolled down his cheek. Then, Arthur looked up at Myrddin. "Send word," he commanded. "We won."