CHAPTER THREE

Glasses of champagne, vibrant neon lights and howling music. The rather large venue becomes so small and suffocating. A tug on my wrist as I step closer to Rachel putting an arm around my waist pulling me to the side.
"I'm going to find Alice in this hell hole, can you contact Finn?" half yelling through the loud music bunching the dress she picked out for easy movement.

"I think Finn is just somewhere getting a drink, I'll look for him." nodding her head setting to look for the two people holding this event, the sliver of blond hair near end of the gala was him. Slapping his shoulder making sure he turns around, meeting his blue orbs as he yelped.

"Where were you? Rachel and I were looking for you." rubbing the spot I hit to soothe it down a bit he excused himself from his conversation, taking two glasses of champagne with him.

"This is a Gala Lily, you can stop being my mom." passing the beverage to me as he casually wraps an arm around my hips, steadily walking through the crowd. A few hello's and hi's from here and there until we reach the empty space where Rachel and Alice were.

"Congratulations on your first Gala Alice."

"I'm really happy you came." hugging her and cooing sweet encouragement as we catch up on a few things.

"Rae, I saw that article you did as well as the magazine it was amazing."

"Well, I did get help from a friend." taking a small sip from the drink Finn gave me drowning out the loud music, stepping a bit closer to hear the conversation.

"Remember Elliot from college?" Alice nodded vigorously as we laugh at her enthusiasm, the music overpowering our voices.

"He made the designs, the art and stuff too. Lily met him the other day." tucking a strand of hair to the back of my ear as I nod my head, their conversation drifting away in the background as I focus on the pictures Alice took and the paintings she did. Slowly walking mesmerized by her style and creativity, the lights accentuating them even more.

The cold breath of the air conditioning sending chills down my spine, rubbing my shoulder briefly and continuing to appreciate the gallery. The warmth of the jacket covering my bare back spreading onto my body like wild fire.

"It's a bit cold in that dress isn't it?" he wraps his arm over my shoulder urging me to finish walking through the entire gallery, rubbing my shoulder for more warmth as we finish the gallery.

"It's nice to see you here Ms. Michel."

"I could say the same, thank you for the jacket." pressing a kiss to my knuckles as he guides me to where Alice and Rachel are.

"Oh, and so you two found each other?" Rachel questioned as he moved his hand away from my shoulder shoving them into his pockets.

"Wouldn't miss this gallery for the world Alice."

"Lily, Elliot Harper you just met. A friend of mine back in college, I think you two had the same classes." pondering on the thought of meeting him once or twice, I didn't croak an answer.

"Hey, you three! I was looking all over." sweat dripping down Finn's forehead as he eyed him from head to toe, Elliot giving a curt nod as Finn stood evenly.

"Elliot this is Lily's boss former classmate Finneas Grimes. Finn this is Elliot Harper a friend of ours back in college currently an Editor." as the two shook hands there was an unannounced tension, clearing my throat catching their attention advising to get some dinner after the Gala which everyone agreed to. The howling music that seemed to entrance everyone suddenly becoming soft and gentle, the faint smell of liquor and champagne.

"I don't think we talked much in college." handing over the coat he draped over my shoulders letting the cold breeze send a chill down my spine, he pulled on my hand sending me flying to his chest.

"Well we did for some brief instances of writing." his hand would fall to the small of my back, as he would sway our bodies slowly; gently even as if holding something fragile. Voice honeyed and hands warm against icy skin, his breathe tickling the skin on my neck pressing his lips near my ear.

"How about I make you remember then?"

"Is this your way of making me remember?" his chest would heave as he let out a hearty chuckle, the light skim of his fingers across my bare back tugging me closer.

"Just pretend you're my date." rubbing a thumb on the knuckles of my hand as he left a chaste kiss draping his coat back on my shoulders, leaving as soon as the dance would finish. Alice handing over another glass of champagne as the sun begins to sleep the red curtains turning into purple hues, his silence and piercing green eyes following my every move. Glancing over my shoulders tucking a strand of hair under my ear, diverting it back as his orbs met mine.

"I see we've been a bit cozy with Elliot over there on the dance floor, and even his coat." a tug of smirk on Rachel's lips as she nudges me forward completely getting absorbed in Alice's journey to this gallery.

"Rae, stop it! Don't think I didn't see you and Finn at that corner." the instant flush of color to her cheek as we let out small fits of laughter.

"Well then ladies, dinner I suppose?"

"And since when did you learn to speak like that?" raising an eyebrow at Finn as he linked arms with Rachel.

"The rudeness Lily!" an eruption of laughter as his voice would croak out, glancing up to him who just kept eyes on a single being. Edgar Allan Poe once wrote seemingly: "There is no beauty without some strangeness." and there you stand with all of your strangeness all of your eccentricity, captured behind a smile you withhold.