CHAPTER EIGHT

What is with trembling fingers and shaky breaths? With soft whimpers and hoarse voices? With plush lips touching warm skin as the rain continues to fall, lightly, carefully and in harmony. As the city lights begin to come to life, as the city noise becomes a mess of rings and horns bellowing their goodbyes.

“You know he’s been waiting for you,” Finn said with a small pout eyeing Eli from the window. “Are you two dating?” he casually asked.

“Are you mad Finneas?” with a discouraged look on his face he made his way to his desk, looking out through the window it’s been raining all week. It’s been a week since that day relishing his auburn locks against soft skin, the cotton duvet and blush curtains now a distant feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“Why don’t you guys just date already?” tapping his pen on the table as I make my way to view a few manuscripts he needed for next week.

“We’re just friends right now.”

“Are you kidding me?!” he stood up looking so perplexed by the comment I made before roughing down the papers.

“He looks at you like you’re his entire world Lily!” I sigh briefly calming him down before telling him about what happened, how he professed his said feelings and how things ended up like this.

“So? What’re you going to do about it?” I shrugged my shoulder putting the manuscripts into an envelope as Finn waits at the door, the sound of heels clicking on wood and the familiar elevator ding would envelope the atmosphere.

“What’re you going to do about Rae though?” he jerked hitting his elbow on the rail followed by strings of profanities until the door opened again.

“I’m trying okay?” Finn sighed. “I did get to talk to her last time, thanks for that.” nudging against my shoulder as we stepped out of the door.

“There’s nothing to rush Finn,” giving him a short hug. “But time isn’t going to stop too.”

“Don’t worry, we’re already having dinner tonight.” sending a wink and dashing through the rain, the soft pitter patters of water that look like crystals shined by the lights. The growing sounds of trees brushing against each other, the quiet roars of thunder and the faint touch of warm skin. The faint smell of chalk, acrylic and ink a scent I could get used to everytime, as the small droplets fall onto the umbrella gaining a new harmony to join the gentle breeze taking them anywhere.

“You didn’t have to wait for me,” I sigh leaning into his touch. “You could catch a cold.”

“A small price to pay isn’t it Lilian?” a smile curving up your lips, you did love the rain and everything in it. The soft whispers of the wind, the gentle claps of thunder, the loud pounding in my chest; the cloud like feel of your lips against my cheek send a rush of pink hues to them as his fingers intertwine with mine. The loud crowded streets becoming something silent as the rain continues to pour down, the dazzling light from the skyscrapers to the small shops.

The blush curtains weren’t dancing with the breeze tonight, it laid still against the glass where it let a few rain drops rest. His faint groans echoing through the walls from his frustrations on work, the clouds were still crying their all to the earth. Faint rolls of thunder and strikes of lightning were evident, he looked so tired as he wrote down his mess. His eyes would drift away from the papers finding it fixated on the clock hanging by the wall, his brows furrowed and face unsure taking a chance to close his eyes.

“You’re having Elliot over?” nodding my head as I pour another cup of coffee. “The office must gave him that five day job.”

“What job?” Rachel sat down on the stool playing with her phone.
“Well, the office had this huge client today,” she said sighing.

“So most of the staff are placed to printing and advertisement.” a strand of her hair clinging to her cheek as she tucked it behind her ear, the two of them are stressed. Snatching the cup of coffee in her hand dumping it down the sink watching her expression change, tapping the counter catching her attention.

“Get some sleep Rae,” kissing her forehead shoving her inside her room. “Rest, Rachel I’ll leave breakfast here tomorrow.” shutting the door looking over at his crouched form by the couch, faint claps of thunder and a few strokes of lightning here and there. His head slung back to rest on the couch eyes closed and brows still furrowed, taking light steps hearing the wood creek under it. His fingers fidgeting on the pen he held as the creases on his eyebrows grew, trailing my fingers from his shoulder earning a brief jerk at the action. Reaching to twirl a lock of his hair sinking into the couch, massaging his scalp earning a low groan from him.

“You seem tired,” gazing over at the table where his papers were.

“Shouldn’t you be resting as well?”

“I’m not that tired Lilian.” he said gripping my wrist leaving a chaste kiss on it, sighing at his ministration he continued on with his work.

“You were busy at the office probably,” he shrugged. “Don’t overwork yourself, Eli.” he hummed in response threading my fingers in his auburn locks as he toiled away.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping Lily?” he looked back rubbing small circles on my wrist.

“I’m not that tired Elliot.” he chuckled at the mockery, placing small kisses on my wrist. He shifted to sit on the couch tugging at my wrist colliding with his chest, the faint smell of chalk, acrylic and ink wafting on his shirt. His hands finding their way into my hair as I trace small patterns against his arms, a soft hum leaving his lips as he placed a kiss to my temple.

“You smell really nice.” he said gently threading his fingers on my hair.

“You’re quite endearing when you’re half asleep.” he scoffed skimming his fingers on the small of my back making me shudder under his touch, his eyes still closed as the comforting silence has us savoring this moment. His head resting against the arm of the couch the quiet thumps of his heart beating through his chest, both hands latched onto each other.

“Eli?” he hummed stroking my arm.

“Why haven’t you kissed me yet?” the short halt with his actions followed by a heavy exhale was the response I got. His hand stroking my cheek as his green orbs looked down to my form, a smile etched on his face placing a kiss on my forehead.

“Reasons.” placing a kiss on my nose foreheads touching each other.

“I won’t kiss you,” his lips hovered against mine fairly close yet so far away, noses touching each other as his breath would brush from my lips to the skin of my neck.

“It might get to be a habit,” his lips dangerously close hand cupping my cheek as I nuzzle against such warmth. “ And I can’t get rid of habits Lily.”