CHAPTER SEVEN

Threading my fingers through his hair lightly tugging on a strand, as he traces small patterns on my back the yellow curtains of morning skies starting to peek through the open window seeping through the blush curtains. Eyes flickering from freckles laying on his cheeks to the curving smile etching on his lips, leaning into his touch as he caresses my cheek. He shifted to rest his head on his hand propping an arm to look down at me, completely wafting in cotton white sheets and morning hues.

“I couldn’t wake you up, you looked so peaceful asleep.” I said tugging the duvet, he let out this melodic laugh and ruffled his hair.

“Lets get some breakfast.”

“It’s barely five in the morning Eli.” I said tracing lightly against his skin, as he shifted to nuzzle at the crook of my neck.

“Is this you telling me to stay in bed Lily?” he said trailing small kisses on my neck sending shivers down my spine, as I thread my fingers in his auburn locks. Shaking my head as I pull away from him and walk to the kitchen, the smell of chalk, alcohol and strong cologne. Looking from across the counter the board filled with ideas he had sketched that night, brewing the coffee beans while carefully reaching for mugs to hold them in. The way his eyes would stare at the back of my head would always make me uneasy until his arms would wrap around my waist, the warmth of his embrace would bring me back to the thought aching to leave my lips.

“Eli?” he hummed against the skin of my shoulder. “I’m trying to make coffee,” I said shrugging him off but he barely budged. His hand moving from my waist to grab my wrist spinning me around to face him, the comforting silence in just staring into his eyes, the way everything just melts into an intimate mess when I’m around him it’s bewitching all the time. Lifting my hand to his lips as he pressed a kiss onto my palm before nuzzling to it, a soft hum of satisfaction leaving his lips as he repeats his ministrations to just holding my hand in his.

“I like the way your hand fits in mine Lilian.” he said as he leaned closer than before having the tip of our noses touch hearing the click of the machine pulling away slightly before being caged against the counter, foreheads touching as his warmth envelopes the both of us.

“Wait, don’t pull away,” he said sighing. “Not yet.” his words would always be sincere as his actions, the gentleness and care he puts everytime he touches me send chills down my spine, waking up those butterflies living inside. The way things are progressing seems to be too fast for me, but right now I wouldn’t mind; for right now with him and this warmth it feels all too right. The smell of chalk, coffee and strong cologne all too familiar for me just right now. The small clicks of the keyboard as the wind would play against the blush curtains, the comforting silence giving audience to us both. How the walls of his room would be witnesses as I watch him work, the wind would tousle the papers, his hair and the soft chimes.

“Eli?” he looked over from his seat across the bed before darting eyes back to the screen of his computer, as the aching question left my lips.

“Aren’t we taking things too fast?” the once comforting silence now just as it is made me uneasy, the clicks of the keyboard came to a stop as I look up from the papers I have in my hands.

“I don’t understand Eli,” I sigh and put down the papers. “I just want to know why?” Thomas Hardy once said: ‘A man’s silence is wonderful to listen to.’ but his silence just put me on the edge.

“I did say I’d make you remember.” the mattress shifting as he sits at the edge of the bed, hands fidgeting and running through his locks.

“Back then, at the office when I first saw you again-” moving closer head resting on my lap as his hands would fist on the white sheets- “I thought I wouldn’t want to be away from you again.” the bright sky being consumed by the ashen clouds, the cold air spreading through the room as it blows at the stacks of papers he was keeping at his desk. His arms tightening the grip he has on my waist, hands fiddling with the shirt he lent for me. The loud claps of thunder would ring as the soft trickles of water fall from the crying clouds, begging that their song would be hear through the faint pitter patters.

“You used to like rainy mornings Eli,” looking up out the window as he nuzzled ever so closer. “I used to like rainy mornings too, because you remind me of them.” Eli shifted from his small fetal curl looking outside as the small harmony of droplet would fall colored by the light of tall buildings, his hand on top of mine as he indulges to the sight before him. The wind would blow harshly to complete the melody along with the pitter patter harmony of water droplets, and there you would be standing with your eyes closed under such beautiful rain and ashen clouds.

“Letting you go was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”his voice honeyed as he came back to lay down on my lap, his fingers fiddling yet again with the hem of the shirt he lent me.

“That day in the rain,” he huffed out. “It was the last time I saw you before class, and the last thing I saw before I left the university.” That day he left a Lily with the front desk to give to me, and before I knew it I looked for him too; but then forgetting that about him in the process.

“And that time, I thought to myself that love seems so overrated.” looking up as he placed a hand on my cheek, nuzzling into his warmth as he sat back up tugging at my waist colliding with his chest.

“The way I feel when I’m with you,” he paused skimming his thumb across my lips and cupping my cheek. “After all that, and right now? Seeing you like this.” he said looking at me, the creased shirt I wore, the pink hue across my cheeks to my ears.

“But still, everything seems to go too fast Eli-” melting into his touch as he caresses my cheek-

“Then we’ll take it slow. Take all the time you need.” his voice echoed as thunder claps and droplets still fall, rubbing small circles at the small of my back, softly stroking my hair as he brought our foreheads together nose touching each other.

“Eli, you haven’t answered why?” his breath hitting the skin of my neck as he pulled me closer muzzling his head at the crook of my neck, as my fingers gentle rub the back of his neck soothingly.

“It would be rude to state the obvious Lily,” he laughed trailing kisses along my neck velvet lips grazing my skin.

“Because I love you.”